What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos of pretty Drosera plants

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Just thought I'd start another thread with some pics. Looking at photographs of pretty CP is my next favorite thing to do. So if you have any pics of your lovely Drosera, please share them on this thread.

This post is of Drosera rotundifolia x Drosera intermedia or sometimes called Drosera x beleziana, though this name is questionable.

Here are two views of the same 2 inch square pot;

Top:

d_rotundifolia_x_intermedia_B3_s.jpg

Side:

d_rotundifolia_x_intermedia_B4_s.jpg
</span>

Certainly, Joe.  I've got a couple nice pics.  
biggrin.gif

This one is D. Nidiformis.  
Cap_or_aPROFILE_760.jpg

Another view:
Cap_or_Aliciae_760.jpg

<span style='color:red'>Update in March</span>
D_Nidiformis_march.jpg

Not as good a photo as the first, but here you can see the flower stalks.

Here is an older shot also, <span style='color:red'>of my D. Scorpiodes pygmies</span>, and it was taken through the glass of the goldfish bowl these are in.  
D_scorpiodes_cropped.jpg

<span style='color:red'>Update in March: D. Scorpiodes</span>
D_ScorpiodesMarch.jpg

<span style='color:red'>Joseph, of course these are D. Scorpiodes...I just forgot to label them.  Thanks for pointing out that I forgot to say their name.  
biggrin.gif
 foolish me...</span>

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Odysseus,

Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing. I too plan to add some other photos to this thread from time to time.

Isn't your last photo of Drosera scorpioides ?</span>

Here's a pic of my D. nitidula x pulchella:

D.%20nitidula%20x%20pulchella2.JPG

Capslock

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a photo of some weed-like volunteers that showed up in a shipment from Meadowview.

Top:
d_capillaris_Virginia_A2.jpg

Side:
d_capillaris_Virginia_B2.jpg
</span>

you guys must have broadband, these pics are taking ages to load and I've given up! please can pictures be a bit smaller?

Nope, no broadband here, just 36kbps dial-up modem connection. I did cut the resolution of my images by more than 1/2. I hope that helps.

Thanks to PinguiculaMan and a wonderful trade I can add this little gem. This Lil guy just arrived in the mail today so while small now I have great expectations for this royal beauty.

Here's Drosera regia

regia.jpg

Cheers,
Sean

Here is another 2 inch square pot;

Top:

d_rotundifolia_Alaska_B3_s.jpg

anglica_Soldotna_AK.sized.jpg

Drosera anglica 'Soldotna, AK'

anglica_Kuai_HI.sized.jpg

Drosera anglica 'Kuai, HI'

intermedia_Roraima_Venezuela_2.sized.jpg

Drosera intermedia 'Mt. Roraima, Venezuela'

The last one actually appears pink in the right lighting conditions. The closest I could get to the true color with an image so far is this:

intermedia_Mt_Roraima_Venezuela_4.sized.jpg

-noah

Joe,

That rotundifolia looks very healthy, considering it appears to be in peat/sand. It is usually the "live sphagnum" plant of the North, right?
The only rotundifolia I have is from Irian Jaya, though I have not taken it out of the flask yet, lol. I guess I'm scared of killing it.

Regards,

Joe

Wow...
I have seen many Drosera photos... but those photos, especially that first one (the anglica), are outstanding. There is just some obscure quality to them -they seem to almost capture a bit of personality. I can't pit my finger on it. They just look great. I normally don't do these "picture praise" posts...
-Trevor

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Joe,
I grow Drosera rotundifolia in both Sphagnum and sand/peat because the very first wild Drosera rotundifolia I ever saw were growing in sand/peat and they looked very nice and healthy. The area was the north shore of lake Michigan from the upper peninsula and was near lake Manistique. They were growing on a sand dune under some pine trees where pine needles and fresh rabbit dung was all over them. They looked very much like these ones do now.

And, of course, I also saw a great many of them growing on the surface of deep Sphagnum beds on the shore of lake Manistique and many other locations since then I have seen them growing in various substrates including the surface of exposed peat and growing out of dead logs which were floating in water.</span>

Here's some pictures I took this morning.  Joseph, my schizandra has came out of its funk.  I kept the rotting leaves pruned back and gave it overheat watering weekly.  I did give one of the leaves some powdered blood worms, and there was no negative impact as far as I can tell.  enjoy,

adelae.jpg

ordensis.jpg

paradoxa.jpg

schizandra.jpg

spatulata.jpg

zimbabwe.jpg

-Homer

Nice photos Homer! I like the mix of utrics with the drosera. Very pretty.

They are all beautiful pics.
smile.gif

Joseph,

You were right. I forgot to add the Label to my D. Scorpiodes pic. hehe Oh well, I edited that post and added two updated pics of both plants. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Still unfurling... a young branch of Drosera. binata multifida 'Extrema'

extrema.jpg

Cheers,
Sean

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Mar. 10 2004,10:38)]Joe,

That rotundifolia looks very healthy, considering it appears to be in peat/sand. It is usually the "live sphagnum" plant of the North, right?
 The only rotundifolia I have is from Irian Jaya, though I have not taken it out of the flask yet, lol. I guess I'm scared of killing it.

Regards,

Joe
D. rotundifolia can grow in and on just about anything so long as they have enough moisture and lack of minnerals to clog up their roots. They just happen to be very adept at navigating their way to the top of sphagnum forest were as most sundew get swallowed up by it.

Back