What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

where's the dew

ok i just got a new sundew a week ago. At first it had a lot of dew and then it dried up b/c of the humidity. i put it in a terrarium and so far i see very little dew but dew none the less. how long will it take for my dew to come back?

The dew should return when the humdity is correct. Dont worry, give it a few weeks.

ok thanx! I'm usually terrible with plants and I don't want these to die so i'm doing everything i can to keep them healthy.
unclesam.gif

Wolfpackgurl? You must have seen the forum name,"Flytrapgurl." This could be interesting. What kind of sundew did you purchase? Was it a drosera spatulata? did you get it from a local nursey or Home Depot? Did the container say, Little Pot of Horrors?" I have personally experienced having a Drosera capensis & Pinquicula primuliflora shrivel up when radically changing their environments. They didn't die but expressed their respective displeasures to me by looking dead. Keep the lid on loosely and wait it out. Keep it in one sunny, room temp spot for awhile. There's no guarantee, but stable conditions should help. Good luck and welcome to the forums!!!!!!!! ask questions and have some fun!!!!!!!

well wolfpack is the team for my college. i have the D. spatulata. so far it looks like it's trying and it's not dieing. i got it from the carnivorousplantstore.com. very good and friendly people. i didn't even know home depot had them.

If your not good with plants, CP's may not be the best thing to grow for you. But good luck.

As for the dew, cephalotus88 is correct, give it a bit, as long as you have good humitity (where there's condensation on the glass), you will get dew.

Have some patience.
smile.gif
Plants need adjustment time when their environment changes. And BTW...its HOME Depot, not Office Depot that sometimes carries a few CPs. Most of the time in places like HD and Lowes, the plants are dead or dying from poor care.
rock.gif

D. spatulata seems pretty hardy. It was one of my first CP's, after buying a VFT. I got it at a local nursery as a clump that I thought was one plant. Turns out there were ~20 o them. Weeks later there were ~30. They just kept on producing plantlets. I have plucked them from the perimeter ant pushed them into different pots, half expecting them to shrivel up. They didn't. they just multiplied. Hopefully, this spring they will flower. It's kinda like having guppies.

well i have patience w/ these babies. i love looking at them and they really add some color to the bathroom. i live in a dorm room so i have 2 suite mates and they use the shower at night time and i use it in the day and plus the bathroom has the perfect light for them and the perfect humidity and i see a few drops coming back. i'm not trying to rush them at all so i'm just hoping they last.

Actually, you can probubly grow it just fine in the lower humidity. The dews viscosity(sp?) will change to work in those conditions on all the new leaves produced after the adjustment. Old leaves that get to dry often are too damaged to produce new dew, even when put back into humid conditions. At least in my experience that has been the case. I'm sure that within a few weeks your plants will be looking good and all those old defunct leaves will have turned into plantlets and they will slowly devour your entire room untill you have no idea which ones you started with and how to get rid of them all ;) lol.

i can't wait until my whole room is covered in sundew lol
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wolfpackgurl @ Mar. 11 2004,11:35)]i can't wait until my whole room is covered in sundew lol  
laugh.gif
Don't get stuck on your room if that's going to be the case. Just remember, the dew looks tastie but it's not....
tounge.gif

how would you know it's not tastie? my plants name is dewwey. i still cant think of a name for my tropical pitcher plant.:O

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wolfpackgurl @ Mar. 11 2004,14:07)]how would you know it's not tastie?
Don't ask....

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wolfpackgurl @ Mar. 11 2004,20:07)]how would you know it's not tastie? my plants name is dewwey. i still cant think of a name for my tropical pitcher plant.:O
I called my first one Little Gulp.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jon @ Mar. 11 2004,18:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wolfpackgurl @ Mar. 11 2004,14:07)]how would you know it's not tastie?
Don't ask....

tounge.gif
I find dew quite tasty! same with nepenthes drool

way better than honey! 
tounge.gif

ROFLMAO!!! Nepenthis DROOL!!!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny!! Dewwey smells good!!!!!
smile.gif

Okay, what is ROTFLMAO?

Back