What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splitting sundews

Okay, so, you guys werent lying about the fact that D. adelae multiplies like crazy. The count for babies is 4 right now.

Though I might let one of them grow in the pot, Im goign to remove the rest and pot them by themselves(and maybe see if I can get rid of them). Does anyone have any experience on how big they should be, and how to it with the least amount of stress on the "mother plant"?

Oh, and this thing was going to send up another flower scape, but I cut it off!

Best thing to do is remove it when you are sure it is 2 serperate plants. It's a tricky sience because sometimes the roots are still joined.

Adela's got nothing on D. capensis. I started out with 3, now I've got 20!

hmmm, try D. spatulata. It was one at the begining of january... now it's, well I don't know, it's almost like the parent is in a bed of sphagnum, except the sphagnum is a bunch of minni clones of it'self.... My D. adelae hasn't done any self cloneing yet... at least I don't think it has, maybe I should lift up those big leaves and check.

I've got a pretty pitiful looking spat right now(no dew, but in much better condition then my adelae when I got it).

Yup, definetly check under the leaves, one of the ones Im aware of is under them.

Jon: So the roots constrict and then split by themselves or something? I was assuming they were on a runner and that I should cut them from the parent.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Mar. 12 2004,12:40)]Jon: So the roots constrict and then split by themselves or something? I was assuming they were on a runner and that I should cut them from the parent.
Sort of, they may run as well, but what mine does is interesting. It sends out a new tap root (sometimes 3 at a time) that grows into the ground and when it hits soil and ancors itsel, it "breaks away" from the parent plant.

What kind of plant are you talking about? The D. adelae seedlings are almost all appearing at the edge of the pot.

Back