What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

viable mixes ?

I crossbred capensis wide and 'Albino', capensis wide and intermedia 'Cuba', and intermedia 'Cuba' and dielsiana. All the seeds are viable and have germinated. I will not know if the cross really took until they develope some size. I can say that the last cross is not germinating like the other two. The seedlings are slow to develope and much thickier than those of the other two crosses.

Oh, this mad scientist stuff is so exciting.

Hi Copper,

Sounds fun! Did you remove immature anthers beforehand to ensure a true cross?

Can't wait to see what comes out!!!
smile.gif

-noah

Oh fun. Your current results make sence since the second cross is about as distantly related as you can get without changing root types.
smile.gif
It could be that the ones to germinate with the think cuticle are actually 4n's insted of 2n's... er well since you used intermedia if the intermedia is a resent one as oppose to a fully speciated one it could be called a 6n o_O but for simplicity lets just say "oh, I wonder if any are 4n!"

LOL

That would be awsome if you lucked out and got a 4n! A couple of self pollinations later and you got yourself an instant new species
biggrin.gif
fun fun! I can not wait untill I get enough mature plants to do stuff like this.

BTW, the seedlings you sent me are all thriving, but I think one of the ones we thought were spats is actually a D. rotundifolia. Would that be possible or did you send out a spat varient with oblongish leave tips?

Yes, one was somewhat oblong.

Noah, I was very careful with the pollination and removed the anthers, but still do not feel sure.  I am sure there is something different with the intermedia x diel, but of course they may not survive.  Here's hoping.

What I want to do is cross a Dionaea low giant with a drosera capensis...don't think it' possable, but the results would be cool...

Yah,that would be quite cool. I could imagine it now big, long ,sticky fast moving traps.

Well, so far so good. The capensis typical x albino are doing well. I wonder if they will be pink? The intermedia x capensis are also doing well. The intermedia x dielsiana are still growing, but very slowy. They are deffinately different from they two mother plants.

Please,please,please,post some pics! You got me dieing in suspense! *watches with intent for pics,that he hopes Copper will be so kind as to show* .

So can you post a few pics?

apparently not
wink.gif
sad.gif
c'mon copper, you're killing us!
tounge.gif
wow.gif
laugh.gif

Sorry pondboy. I have been very busy. I will try to get pics of them tomorrow, but they are yet very small. There are diffinately difference. The albino x typical are the only ones starting to elongate. The straight typical were the first to germinate, but those mixed with the albino appear to be growing a little faster. The intermedia x capensis are odd. The traps are the typical shape, but the tentacles and glands are different. As I said they are very small yet and it is difficult to actually say what the difference is. At this stage they do not look exactly like either parent. The intermedia x Diel still prod along. They are growing, but at a much slower rate. I note that the straight diels also grow slower, but the mix seedling are still thicker than the straight seedlings of the parent plants. I am a little worried that they won't make it due to their tremendously slow growth.

Ok,I waite in anticipation.

Back