What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding sand to D. scorpiodes

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I got the cart before the horse, so to speak, with regard to providing appropriate media for my D scorpiodes. I tried topdressing them with some sand and some of the grains are now sticking to the hungry petioles. What effect will that have on them?

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>That depends on what effect you are looking for. And depends on many other factors as well. Some of which are noted below.

- Type of sand: inert silica, soluble mineral sand, gypsum sand, etc.
- Size of sand: 120 grit -> 12 grit.
- Amount of sand.
- Moisture content of sand or lack thereof.
- etc.</span>

Jim,
I did the same thing with some 70 grit sand.  I got some on the leaves when I watered and wasn't able to rinse it all off (most of it but not all).  What was left on stayed on until the leaves died and were replaced by new leaves.  The plants themselves are fine.  I didn't worry about it affecting them catching insects, mostly because there weren't that many insect out to catch yet.  At least not in my house.
smile.gif

BCK

I have some good news. I accidently uprooted a clump of my scorps thisweekend because my N. ventricosa had curled around them and I didn't see it. They came out with a nice clod of soil, but get this, it was soil around the plant, not down into the pot and I couldn't see any bare root. So I am thinking that at this age it might be possible to skim off the top inch of soil without disterbing their roots at all so you could put a new mix of soil underneith. If the uprooted ones are still in good condition next weekend I'll probubly do that with mine since I don't have them in the best soil right now either.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So I am thinking that at this age it might be possible to skim off the top inch of soil without disterbing their roots at all so you could put a new mix of soil underneith.

Even VERY small D.scorpioides will have much longer roots than you would think. I recently transplanted one of my plants that was no more than 1/4 inch tall, and it had a root almost 2 inches long. Be VERY careful when you transplant them to be sure you get all of the root.

Steve

I've got mine in a container that has 132 1/4" diameter holes, sitting atop another saturated container with a few inches of sand. the idea in mind is that the scorpiodes will send their roots through the holes into the sand attain CP Nirvana - or at least put up with my jerry-rigged set up.

I don't know if this will help, but I'm posting anyway. I recently got a clump of scorpiodes in the mail without extrordinarily long roots. I pulled the clump apart as much as I dared, and popped it in a +-5" pot with 80% sand, 20% peat. The plants have been outside in partial humidity and are thriving. There were none of the expected shocks.
Peter

Hey guys,
I received my first D. scorpiopedies about a month ago.It grew one new trap
then grew this big three knob clump that it sent out like it does it's leaves. It's producing new small leaves( well one anyways) but this big clump is just kinda' hangin' there.
rock.gif
Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Not sure, but I can give you a description of the development I observed. The first thing I noticed was a little red stem heading to the media. When the green portion of the gemmae started developing it looked like a little green fist with its fingers pointing upward. The fingers were the first leaves. also emerging from the center was a thin whitish feathery growth that kinda resembles fungus - but it is not. It is a protective stipule. Soon after that the petioles branched out. There are ~10 on each ~3/4" plant - and they look hungry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (God's garden @ Mar. 16 2004,09:47)]Hey guys,
I received my first D. scorpiopedies about a month ago.It grew one new trap
then grew this big three knob clump that it sent out like it does it's leaves. It's producing new small leaves( well one anyways) but this big clump is just kinda' hangin' there.
rock.gif
Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Ooo Ooo, Gemmea? Or it's just being weird. I have one that continues, to this day, to grow upside down with it's roots draped over it's main growth and then into the ground... acutally it's sort of at a 45 degree angle now, but it's still very funny.

Back