What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saturday I went home to take care of my plants like I do each week. I came home to several disasters that are mentioned in the proper forums. My sundew disaster revolves around the burning of yet another group of Spatulata. Yah, remember, I toasted all my seedling last summer? Well, last week my mom demanded I remove the Spat from the kitchen because she kept grabbing it to wash it like a cup, lol. I set it on my grow rack. BIG mistake, the thing did not respond well to the extra light and I came home to a very unhappy looking plant, with very unhappy looking plantlets underneath and around it. Apparently the light not only helped burn it, but it also helped dry out the pot! This is really bad, I know, but since the pot is usually still in some water when I come home at the end of the week I didn't think the light would totally dry it out. Thankfully my mom saw the dryness and conbatted it mid week (good mommy, yes), but didn't think about the grow-light contributing to the singeing so by the time I got home it was 3 time worst looking. Anyhow, I moved it into my super humid terrarium after soaking it in fungiside (since it was a seconday fungi infaction rather then the burn it'self that took out my seedlings last year)... actually the whole reason I even have the fungiside is because of the infection on last years burnt seedlings, but it came as too little too late. So yah, I guess only time will tell if my little spat collony makes it. I feel bad because they were a gift from the Meijer Gardens and I cooked them. Right after being intrusted with a D. binata too.

Speaking of my D. binata(am I spelling this correctly?) It's doing so awsome! Learning from my past issues with plants from the Gardens (they all got burned if I put them under lights directly, I guess filtered sun in a green house doesn't measure up to the level of the lights), I didn't put it under the grow lights directly, but on the shelf below so the light filters threw the plants potten above. Sort of bright shade conditions. Anyhow, it now has dew all over it despite the low humidity and get this, the dew droplets are bigger then on my terrarium grown dews! It also has great coloring. I think I'll grow it in my bedroom by the window since it doesn't seem to need high light levels, and probubly wouldn't like them (like some sertain spats I know). Okay okay, here is the really nifty part. Over the past week, it's begun dividing it's central growth point. I came home to fined not one big growth point and the little runner a few inches away that I had left, but a very larger running a few inches away and two evenly sized growth points in the center about 1/2 a cm appart
biggrin.gif
How totally awsome is this. I figure in not too long I'll have three plants so next time it gets repotted I'll probubly have some for traid.

In other news, my D. adelea has increased it's leaf length by over 1cm since I got it and is now fully adjusted to it's new home, yay.

Good Mommy! Much better than the, "Why did she do it?" post!

Sorry for that I hope they make it,congrats on the D.binata!

Well, I still have the two subspecies that Copper sent me so I'm not back to square one at least... BTW, Copper, if your reading this, what ARE the two types you sent? I have the one that is sort of D. rotundifolia like but not really and then the one that is more like what I usually see. Thanks
smile.gif

Darcie,  It is my understanding, and experience, that binata needs LOTSA' sun and a long photo period.  They are hard to kill but will eventually succumb to low light levels.
rock.gif

Really? It doesn't act like it's unhappy. It's growing like crasey actually. If it starts to act light starved I'll move it, but at the moment it is looking better every time I viset it so I'm not going to mess with a good thing.

*Pokes and brown lump previously know and D. spatulata* *blink* I'm starting to think that this just isn't a good species for me.... hey look the sphagnum has recoverd, nice sphagnum spring, you're a good plant and don't die from light.

Asterisks? Not another one! *Sneezes and moves to a different topic.*

Back