What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. spatula turned black and died

Well, its been a week since I purchased my D. spatula, and its not doing well. Perhaps it will be my first cp death...I hope not.

Its been right next to my D. adelae, and receives sunlight for a couple hours in the morning. I kept the soil moist, and added a cover for humidity(the one my D. adelae used when it was a baby).

Well, 2 days ago, I checked on it, and it looked pretty sad. Lots of leaves, including the 2 newest ones, were turning black, starting from the base outward. I cut off all these afflicted leaves, and also discovered the originally healthy leaves hid a bunch more black ones which were cultivating some fungus.

Today, I cut away the last black leaves. Now, the plant is a black, leafless, nub. Is there anything I can do to help it survive, or is it dead?

My guess is that the roots are still alive, so there is hope!  I imagine that it got too much humidity perhaps.  I wonder how hot or burned it might have gotten in the sunlight (even morning sun) in its humidity cover ??

My advice is to let it air out in its same location but without the cover.

best of luck to you!

-Homer

Set the top of the pot on fire ;) seriously, it will mock a flash fire and kill off the fungi while hopefully leaving the roots.

That is the most obserd thing I have ever heard, Darcie...IT JUST MIGHT WORK!

Seriously! Good idea!
smile.gif

How exactly would you do that?

Also, how does burn't sphagnum smell(well, maybe I don't want to know!).

Like all those funny "One better" stories that my friends tell at school..."Hey, I lit a match and set my mom's(to add spunk) flower pot on fire...haha!"

laugh.gif

Okay, that was cheesy.

How exactly would you do that?

Also, how does burn't sphagnum smell(well, maybe I don't want to know!).

Like all those funny "One better" stories that my friends tell at school...

"Hey, I lit a match and set my mom's(to add spunk) flower pot on fire...haha!"

laugh.gif

Okay, that was cheesy.

um... a match? I'm not really good with the species, but the only thing I can think of is burning the top off and hoping the roots survive.

Try another one. Spats are cheap - and easy. Seriously, if it doesn't have dew on it from where it was purchased, it is in distress. Bringing it home to another environment, albeit a better one, added more stress. If it hasn't totally given up the ghost, I would recommend giving it water, covering it up, putting it in a sunny window sill, wait about a week, and cross your fingers. I nearly lost a D. capensis and a P. primuliflora just from bringing it home and then to work. But I did what I described and they both forgave me. The ping is flowering, as we speak and the capensis looks better now, than it did in the store.

Back