What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera graminifolia - pictures

Hi,

I just thought i could share these pictures with you. I have taken them about 2 weeks ago. Here they are :

graminifolia_nr1_001_19_15032004_001tn.jpg

click here for a larger version of the picture above

graminifolia_nr1_002_19_15032004_002tn.jpg

graminifolia_nr1_003_19_15032004_003tn.jpg

Christian

Cool. That's rather fillaformis-esque, isn't it? Nice pics!

HI Christian,

Just out of curiosity, do you know where your D.graminifolia is originally from? It'll probably be Caraça, Diamantina, Grao Mogol, or Itacambira.

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

Hi Fernando,

It is a from the Serra Do Cipo, Diamantina.

Christian

Hi Christian,

Serra do Cipo and Diamantina are different places in Minas Gerais state, SE Brazil, a few hundred km apart. While D.graminifolia is very common in the Diamantina area, it is not know from the Serra do Cipo. So I imagine your plants are probably from Diamantina, also known as the "spiralis" form due to the way the leaves uncurl (and because it was actually published by Saint Hilaire as D.spiralis, different from D.graminfolia).

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the Information! I have just looked it up. I received the plants with the location data i wrote above. I will aks the one, who gave me the plants soon if it was a mistake.

Christian

Nice looking plant Christian.
smile.gif
Looks a lot like mine. The leaves unfurl similar to the fiddleheads of a fern.

This is exactly the main difference between the type graminifolia (which due to pollution may be extinct in the wild by now, unfortunately...) and the northern forms. In the type plants, the leaves uncurl from a nice rounded bud, like the slice of a rolled up cake. In the northern forms, the whorls of the young leaves are usually not round, but oval and the internal whorls often stick outwards at different angles.

Fernando

Hi,

as I am the one who gave Christian the plants let me say I have got the location data from the collector but I will ask him again next time I meet him for more details. Sorry for the problems I did not know that the places are so far apart. A foto of this location type in flower from February 2004:

dgraminifolia2p.jpg

Enjoy it!

Stefan

Wow, beautiful plants!!! Do you have any pictures showing the young leaves uncurling? If so, I can identify it for you...

Fernando Rivadavia

Hi Fernando and all,

identifying that beautiful D. graminifolia would be great. In my eyes leave structure indicates the "spiralis" form but I didnot see a living specimen of the other type yet.
So here two pics of the above clone but of different plants:
dgraminifoliaTC4p.jpg
dgraminifoliaTC1p.jpg

and here two photos of another clone:

dgraminifoliaFR2_1p.jpg
dgraminifoliaFR2_3p.jpg

Hope that helps in identifying!

Stefan

Yes, it certainly is the "spiralis" form. Congrats again on the beautiful plants!!

Fernando

P.S. Who was the collector???

Collectors:

The first plant we now know should be from Diamantina was collected by Thomas Carow years ago and survived in the collection of Paul Debbert for years. In summer 2000 I started with Pauls last 2 plants and have brought it in vitro growing very good under sterile conditions.

The second one has the exact location data:

D. graminifolia northern giant, Itacambira FR2,

so Fernando guess who collected it years ago (around 1999) and was kind enough to send me some seed :-)). The plants flowered but so far I didnot get seed. Sometimes I have problems to get viable pollen from D. graminifolia and D. chrysolepis. As soon as I have seed they will go into tubes, too.
By the way most of the other plants from that time also do well. Only my beloved G. guyanensis seedlings didnot make it.

Stefan

Cool, you confirmed my suspicions!
smile.gif
:) Not many people have collected D.graminifolia, hehehe!

Fernando Rivadavia

For those interested in Drosera graminifolia, note that this winter saw a specimen of this species frozen solid in its pot for a day or so. The plant is now returning to growth, much to my surprise. Evidently these plants have some resistance to brief freezes. The D. ascendens that was in the same pot is likewise returning to active growth, as is the Drosera regia which suffered the same fate.

The specimen that froze was received as seed from an Itallian grower who believed the seed was inviable, but sent it for my studies. It was labelled as Drosera graminifolia “Caracca” . I am wondering if this was collected by Fernando, or from another source? The seed germinated for me, although it was poorly stored since 1999. I am very happy the plant survived as it is a single specimen.

How do these beautiful plants deal with warm (70's) nights during the hot Georgia summer?

I get the impression from reading that they do alright with the heat but need a good overnight low dropoff.

JLAP.

I have two plants, one I keep inside under lights the other outside all summer.

They don't like it outside here in the summer :). It survived and grew, but looked rough. I moved it back inside now (just in time for it to get cool).

JLAP.

I have two plants, one I keep inside under lights the other outside all summer.

They don't like it outside here in the summer :). It survived and grew, but looked rough. I moved it back inside now (just in time for it to get cool).

I can vouch for summer growing outside. Just brought in back inside and am not sure if the plant is even alive.

Back