What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Binata about to flower

this plant has just finished flowering about 40 flowers already and it is sending up a new stalk, it didn't produce any seeds so should i cut it off? The plant must be so exausted after all those flowering and im afraid it would die after another 40. Flowering takes up a whole lot of energy right?

Hey MODS I posted this in the wrong board can you help me move it to the SUNDEW board? thanks sorry about this mistake

Moved
smile.gif

thanks Cindy

Flower takes up some energy, but seed production takes up a lot more! Luckily for you (or maybe not, if you were hoping for seed) binata is not self-fertile, requireing two clones to produce seeds. If you haven't noticed a distinct cut-back in growth or overall health, then the flower is just a sign of a healthy mature plant and you don't need to worry. If you want to see more flowers, leave it there. If you don't, cut it off.

hope that helps!
smile.gif

Noah are you gonna send the genlisea soon?

Personally, I always let my D. binata flower. The flowers are beautiful, and the plant seems totally unaffected by either flowering or seed set (some varities do self seed I believe). In any event, given good cultivation, flowering is not a problem with this species.

I have a self-fertile, auto-pollinating D. binata "var. dichotoma." Every one of my outdoor pots has at least three of these things in it. My plants came from an ICPS seed bank donation labeled D. binata in '00 or '01.

Back