What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

d.adelae growing conditions?

Hi,

My mafia boss has given me 3 d.adelae to look after as he is away on business. His parting words were take care of them or I'll take care of you. Winter is approaching, what should I do?

i find that d.adelae is pretty tolerant to different growing conditions.

i have a 6" pot that is absolutely filled with them growing in my terrarium. temps are low 60's to low 90's. humidity is 60% and up. lighting is by 4, four foot flouresent bulbs on a 16 hour timer.

1 have also grown them in an east facing window with no supplemental lighting, and outside in full sun.

just make sure that you wanter with distilled reverse osmosis or rain water. the plant will adjust to different humidity levels over time.

enjoy!
techno...

I don't know about D. adelae , I might be getting one soon

WHAT?! Mafia boss? really?

Winter is approaching? You must in the Southern Hemisphere. (Duh!) I bought an adelae in November, as winter approached here. Aside from trying to kill it by moving a couple times,
biggrin.gif
trying to upgrade it's conditions, it has done well for me in morning sun, by the window, with a cover that is loosely on at all times. I was trying to balance decent humidity with some semblence of air circulation. It sent out plantlets and produce green, dewy leaf after green, dewy leaf. Nor redness and no flowers, but the again it was winter and the plant knew it. The soil is essentially sphagnum peat and NOT currently in an open tray situation. In short, it is doing well enough to produce green, dewy leaves and clones.

It would help to know where you are and how its being grown now.
smile.gif
Indoors, outdoors? Pot or terrarium?

D. adelae does like high humidity. It is a sundew that prefers a little less light. I grow mine in an area of my tank that gets a little less light. If grown in strong light it will take on a red color. I have one in a tank in my office in a west-facing window and it has a nice maroonish gold color. My adelae at home are green.

I grow mine in pures long-fiber sphagnum moss and keep it very wet...sometimes sitting in water (pure water of course).

Good luck...would hate to see you whacked over a little plant.
smile.gif

Yes, my mafia boss is quite strict when it comes to his d.aladaes. I'm growing them outside with a water tray method (take away container), medium pure sphagnum, covering to increase humidity. There is good condensiation within the container, about 50% shade. temps right now are around the high 20 degree C to mid 30s. Yes I'm in the southern hem - in Sydney.

On the safe side, I might take one of em indoors during winter. Conditions should be alot more moderate - unlikely to fall below 15 degrees. Out doors might drop to 5 degrees or less on some nites.

Thanks for the growing tips, the d.aladae doesn't look like a tough plant. leafs seem very fragile. maybe looks can be decieving. This could be the picture of a mafia boss
blues.gif

I have a D. adelae. It's pretty healthy, but it keeps getting taller, and it got so tall it fell over. Why does it get so tall?

D. adelae, for me, is very hardy. I don't keep them that wet and they still thrive. I think the main thing is humidity. If you leave them without a cover for a few hours, the dew dissapears. As soon as I get soem more distilled water, I'll follow PK's example.

How big/deep of a pot will they eventually need? Mine is sending roots out from the bottom of the pot.

The plants are small. It is grown out of a tall plastic cup. I will repot them once they grow big. it's good to know that it's a hardy plant. probably not as hardy as the d.capensis or vft.

In South Florida you can plant a 2x4 and it will sprout leaves...I have been unable to keep a D. adelae alive...five dead and one more fast slipping away. All were growing outside in same conditions as my other very healthy Drosera.
sad.gif

I used to have a lot of trouble with the adelaes in the beginning. For some reason I couldn't keep one alive. Then I switched to pure LFS with a lot of water and never had problems since (err...unless I do something stupid like let the pot dry out).

Back