What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food for a D. adelae

What do you feed your D. adelae? Can you feed them ants, I was just wondering because some people say that they hurt venus fly traps I was wondering if they hurt sundews too?

I just let my D. adelae catch gnats and things from around the house. I don't feed mine, but I imagine an ant wouldn't hurt it any.

Capslock

It usually catched flies and ants and anythinbg that wounders onto it...mostly flies.

I don't feed mine. They catch what they will. If you have it in a tank, the food (bugs) often molds due to the high humidity. Some people use tiny bits of eggwhite.

They grow just fine without food too.

IME milk(only a little!) works well in closed containers as it doesn't mold. Ants, on the other hand, quickly grow mold on them.

VFT are sensitive to toxins, unlike dews. Feed it whatever, although I would watch the mold thing. I find gnats are ubsessed with getting themselves caught. Set your plant outside in the grass for 5 minutes and it will be fine
smile.gif
lol

Do you mean toxin's in the food or the soil? I find that vfts eat anything, spiders, bees, ants roaches, beetles, wasps. I feed mine with a consistent diet of bees - the toxins in the sting don't seem to adversley affect the plant.

i have fed mine egg whit, cheese, chocolate,dried blood worms, cricket legs, misc insects i find...

mine is in a terrarium, and even with a 6" diameter fan blowing air around, i still get mold. a q-tip with rubbing alcohol usuallt takes care of that, though.

in my experience, d. adelae spreads easily from it's roots, and before you know it you will have many plantlets.

i'm curious, how do you feed milk to a sundew?

tech...

Fruit flies of course
smile.gif

I get a little bowl of milk, and then get a twig or something similar and get a little milk on it. Then, I dab it on the plant. Use only small drops. Then the plant does the rest.

Back