What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gaahhh, I have gemmae!

OK, so I notice my D. nitidula x pulchella looks kinda wierd, so I get up close, and... whoa! It's gemmae! In April!

So, now what? How do I remove them? The only gemmae I've dealt with have been neatly packaged in little baggies and sent through the mail. What now?

Capslock

Oh yeah, here it is:

D_nitidula_x_pulchella_gemmae.sized.jpg

I read something about turning the plant uoside down, over something you can collect them with, and the use a toothpick to help nudge them out.

To collect the gemmae off my plants, I use a wet toothpick and tease them off, then put them on the soil, or package that I wish. Good job, and nice plant!

Cole

Hey...gemmae are a good thing! Enjoy! Means more plants. And nice photo by the way.
smile.gif

Try using a wet q-tip. Press it lightly to the gemmae and they will adhere to it, and they will not go popping off everywhere.

Hey William,
What about that suction/vaccuum thingy you invented for harvesting gammae? I remember something about a makeshift vaccuum cleaner somewhere....

The gemmae vacum would indeed work, but is it worth the effort of construction? I have found a 50 cent sized diameter tall glass jar (the kind that capers or some olives come in) is the best. Punch 2 holes in the lid slightly less than the diameter of the 2 lengths of flexible plastic tubing that you will need. Put one tube through the cap so that it is just below the cap, and affix a small bit of nylon stocking SECURELY with tape, leaving no openings over the end. You will be sucking on the other end of this tube which will be outside the jar. You provide the vacum power. Put the other tube through the other hole so it rests almost on the bottom of the jar. Thread the cap on and there you go Joe. Dont punch the holes too large or you will need some chewed up gum to seal it. Now, suck through the tube WITH the nylon, using the other longer tube as a hose. If you use the wrong tube, you will end up with a nylon covered tube of gemmae. The nylon prevents the gemmae sucked to the bottom of the jar from taking root in your lung tissue, so the closure must be secure. This works well for themajor harvesting of gemmae in my collection. But, for a few rosettes I'd go with the q-tip I think.

Yeah, I agree Tamlin. I have two rosetts with gemmae, so I'll just pop 'em off with a q-tip. I was shocked to find gemmae at this time of year (or at all for that matter, this is my first time!) Does this happen often? I thought it always happens in fall, but then again, this one isn't even outside.

Capslock

well, if youre growing them according to the seasons of australlia, its gemmae season in australlia
biggrin.gif

congrats ont he gemmae! nice plants, too!
biggrin.gif

Back