What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera regia

I've had this d. regia now for about a month. I made the 'mistake' of putting him in with my other drosera at about 70% humidity and 70 deg f. I read today in 'the savage garden' they prefer cooler (altho it says nothing about temps) areas to grow. I did move it to a cooler terrarium today. It just didn't seem happy where it was. the leaves would unfold and slowly die. Anyone have any numbers I could go by for this plant, temps, humidity, grow places etc would be very helpful. in the summer, it will adorn the kitchen windowsill with my d. x marsten and other drosera...but I need a spot for him now.

Well, this may seem like elementary thinking, but here's what it felt like in Peter D'amato's greenhouse in December and we all know he has nice d. regia.
Temp: (winter) about 50 or 60 degrees
Humidity: I'd like to say 70, but maybe a little higher or lower
Light: Er, not much during winter, what you'd get from a cloudy windowsill
so basically windowsill-amount light.
smile.gif

Matt

Ok, now I got a question: I just got my D. regia from California Carns last Thursday in the mail. Beautiful immature plant with two new leaves sprouting. This morning, the leaf tips are turning black and not unwinding. I've got him in a tank under grow lights with my D. capensis - red form and it is about 73 degrees. Is this too warm and too much light?  Or is it just recoving from the mail trip?

I have mine in my sunroom. Temps have been upto 85 and down to 30 over the course of winter and the plants seem happy enough. I think the key is a really open media as the one I had in peat:sand was (and still is) a little stunted while the one in perlite:LFS has doubled in size.

Light is 1 meter below a 400W HID/MH plus whatever sun hits during the day, humidityfrom 35-90% but mostly around 55-65%

I got mine from ca carnivores. It sits under four forty watt bulbs in a 55 gallon tank on its side. I moved it to a 30 gallon tank that doesn't get quite as warm. Another question is this...should I chance taking it out of the tank and putting it someplace else? I know that is a decision I'll have to make for myself, but what about the acclimation? AND, what about leaving it outside in the summer in northern virginia? thanks for all the help so far...

Bob...what substrate are you using?

I just wanted to tell y'all not to panic too much if you see the leaves blacken and die. This is normal. I had mine for a good while and it seemed the leaves stayed small and kept dying off. Soon as it would make a new leaf, another one would blacken and die. I thought for sure I was going to lose it. Then all of a sudden it started to grow and grow fast. It went from 2 1/2" leaves to beautiful 6" leaves. Its doing fine now. I think it just need to get adjusted to its new surroundings.

Mine is in my basement where its cool, under good lighting, growing in milled sphagnum with redwood mulch in the bottom and kept very wet.

William and Joseph can both help you out on growing conditions and substrate. However, if you do a search for D. regia on here you'll probably find several topics on it and a lot of good information on how to grow them.
smile.gif

Suzanne

I don't think warm conditions will bother it much, provided the plant has a nice nightime drop of 5 or 10 degrees. I see no need for terrarium culture though, this plant is really not that demanding (rather like D. capensis). The more light the better, and mine simply go outside in the non-frozen months. I do grow mine as a near aquatic, and in pure live LFS with a sump of redwood mulch at the pots base. The pot sits in an undrained container that puts the water level about 1 cm beneath the surface. Indoors I grow it under flourescent lights in the colder months, as close to the tubes as possible. It is common for old leaves to blacken and die, as long as new ones are being produced form the plants center you have no cause for worry. The plant is a heavy feeder, and this is likely needed to support its large biomass. Regular feeding with dried bloodworms in winter, and prey capture outside in warm months should provide this.

"Higher" temps don't seem to affect mine. I have it inside a windowsill and temps fluctuate between 55-85 currently. Humidity and fair air circulation seem to be more important. I have a round plastic cup perched on and over the edges of the square pot, so it keeps humidity high but air can circulate.

Back