What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't throw out your "dead" dews!!

Well I thought my sundew didn't make it through dormancy since it looked like the dormant bud rotted.  I didn't want to throw it away so i sat it on top of a tub of moist growing medium.  Then today I was potting up some new plants I got and I saw that it had started growing!!  Here's a pic:

100_0533web.jpg

-buckeye

The photo doesn't show, but I see in my crystal ball that it is a D. filiformis form, am I right?

Other species also have this capability, especially the South African forms. Whenever a sundew looks dead, I remove it from tray watering, but I keep the pot. This has served me very well many times.

Pic isn`t working for me either:(

I had a similar situation with my first sundew I ever had, D. adelae. It seemed to have a melt down, everything above the soil was dead. I pulled the dead plant out of the pot and left the pot outside. A month or so later I was surprised to see new plants growing out of the pot from the roots.

So do you keep them moist? Im gonna try to revive my D. spatula. I recently removed the roots and tossed them in with the D. adelae until I figure out what to do with them.

Now I know! LOl

Yep Tamlin you're right it is a filliformis!! Good guess! The picture shows up on my computer but apparently the free hosting site I'm using won't allow it to show up on other people's computers. Usually I use the space PFT gave us for my pics but since it's down I can't. You can see it if you go to my growlist on my website. Here's a link to my growlist: My growlist
Once you're there scroll down to sundews and click on D. fillformis fillformis.

-buckeye

You are so right Buckeye. My filliformis did exactly the same thing. It went dormant in early September and the hibernacula turned all brown and I was sure it was dead. But thanks to Tamlins advice, I held onto it and cut back the water and sure enough it was one of the first plants to break dormancythis spring. Now I even have a flower scape comming up
smile.gif

Cheers
Steve

Wow! I was sure mine was dead....Now did I throw it away? That is the question!
rock.gif
I'll have to check when I get home.

Back