What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is the best temp for my dews

fre8train

BANNED
I cant seem to get these to live healthy. They grow slowly and with no dew drops. I cant understand why. ever sence I got it back from the Lacps they have never had dew again. I have the four tear greenhouse at about 65 degrees all the time. and when you put your hand in the greenhouse you can feel the heavy air with water. I am still looking for a good humidistat. thanks for the replys.

Jerry, you, Flip Side the pint, and WolfPackGurl have the same idea about utilizing the 4-tier greenhouse. Watch the posts on those topics.

The only drosera i have is a small patch of capensis seedlings all different kinds that have seeds sprincled so close that there is a jungle of them but the bottom ones are starting to die out and I can see the brown under them. also my cheap one from home depot has no dots of dew eather they are all common And I thought they were too finicky. I noticed that in the middle of the day it rised up to 70 degrees.

I have found that D. capensis does not demand the high humidity of a terrarium, and does better for me if grown under conditions of 50% average relative humdity. The real issue with lack of dew is most likely lack of sufficient light: glass and plastic cut off much of the spectrum these plants need for good strong growth. A strong and healthy plant will produce dew, and light is the single greatest factor influencing this.

I have found that some plants, after taken home, suffer visible shock, that is evident by not producing dew. What has worked for me is to cover them for a fwe days and give them a stable environment. As long as they aren't too far gone, their new leaf growth will produce dew.

My terrarium has about 80-90% humitity and my capnesis are dew SOAKED. It's also about 70 degress in their too with lots of light.

I also use the terrarium for recently acquired plants, or for plants which have been stressed from transport. This is a case where added humidity is beneficial (at least for most species).

Again, the issue I think is not so much with humditiy. If the plants are in a well lit terrarium, they will drip with dew, but this is not a requirement, although it can for sure be a plus.

Like much of CP cultivation, its a play it as you feel it type of thing. One thing I have learned is that if a technique doesn't work, then it is good to change the conditions slowly until you find what works for you.

thanks for lighting up the way Tamlin

Back