What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AH! Flower!

Ok, I know it's not all that benifissial to Dionaea's when they flower, I know Pings like to flower and it's ok to let them, what about droseras'?

My Drosera capensis is flowering and I don't want it to take away from the life of the plant or kill it. Does flowering do any harm to droseras?

Don't worry - capensis flower all the time, and though it may slow growth a little, it definetally won't "kill" them if they are at all healthy. If you haven't seen the flowers before, it's worth slowing the growth to see them at least once.

capensis2.sized.jpg

You may want to cut the flowers off though.... this little bugger can quickly become a weed!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (noah @ April 10 2004,11:54)]You may want to cut the flowers off though.... this little bugger can quickly become a weed!
rock.gif
rock.gif

How so? Is the flower a completly different plant that "escapes" off the drosera and runs amuck?
rock.gif

Hey Jon, the flowers don't run amuck, but rather the seeds. These guys produce COPIOUS seeds. I got 10 PACKS (chalk full) of seeds from one scape once. I'm not talking 10 or 12 seeds a pack, but like 75 seeds a pack, or more. It was rediculous.
laugh.gif

I've had a capensis since November. It has been producing green leaf after green leaf after green leaf. It looks happy and is very dewy. Shouldn't it be initiating a flower stalk soon?

jimscott,

My capensis alba and typical both produced flower stalks this spring at the same time.  The photoperiod was 13.5 hours at that time.  All other conditions seemed to be the same.  Keep in mind that i've had capensis outdoors keep flowering in Novemeber, which is about 10 hours of light a day.  Go figure...

-Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ April 10 2004,10:24)]Hey Jon,  the flowers don't run amuck, but rather the seeds.  These guys produce COPIOUS seeds.
Hmmm....I must watch this then...don't want my terrarium being over run by the little buggers...but then again, I could just remove them as they grow and trade em....

Back