What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera ID & propogation

Hi everyone.

I've got a couple of Drosera that came as hitchhikers on some Sarra's.  I'm not overly up to pace on Drosera so I was hoping you could confirm my tentative ID.

This first I believe is D. spatulata.  Yes?  If so would anyone hazard a more accurate ID of the form?

mypic26.JPG

This next shot is the finished flowers (flowers were done by the time I received the host plants):

mypic27.JPG

I have actually been collecting seed from the above Drosera and would like to try raising it.  I have a small commercial seed raising container and was planning to lay the seeds on moist 1:1 peat:sand, give it a spray down, cover and place in my Nepenthes glasshouse.  Sound OK?

Next is this little (and I mean little) beauty:

mypic28.JPG

I could no narrow this one down due to it being such an immature plant.  Any idea?

Thanks,

Aaron.

I would say the first is likely D. spatulata, and the second is D. binata for sure.

WOW - that was quick.

Thanks for that ID. Now off to do some researching on how to care for these guys.

Aaron.

I find they grow with my sarras just fine! Why not just keep them together?

Capslock

Looks like that binata has quite the appetite! It's all curled around something. Nice pics. I also agree that the top one looks like spatulata. You should have no trouble with the seeds.

Those conditions would be about ideal, except possibly in the winter months, but you could transplant the D. spatulata before the first frosts. I think the D. binata (although small) would survive a temperate dormancy.

Second one is definatly binata, and a hungy one at that!

Thank you everyone.

Caps,

No intetion of sepparating them for now. Just wanted to ID and get some info on raising the seeds I'm collecting.

Schloaty,

Glasshouse is full of small black ants coming in for the Neps and Sarra's.

Aaron.

Hi Aaron,

I'm guessing that the Sarra came from Collectors Cornner. If so, I'm not surprised that seedlings of Drosera spatulata and binata have turned up. These are common 'weeds' in many of their plants.

The spatulata seed will germinate down here at any time of the year without any protection. I have the same form throughout my Sarras which spend the entire year outside in fully exposed conditions. They will thrive in your new glasshouse. I would expect the binata to go dormant at any time now.

Glad to see that you now have some Drosera added to your collection. If you need any more in the future just let me know.

Sean.

Thanks Sean,

You're right, Collector's Corner is the culprit!

You forgot the other 'weed' that is common to many of their Potted plants....D. capensis. I have 3 now!

I'm giving the D. spatulata seed a go on a peat/sand mix in one of those Mini Greenhouses you can get from Kmart, Bunnings, etc.

Hopefully see you at the next meeting.

Aaron.

Of course. How could I forget capensis.

I look forward to seeing you at the next meeting.

Sean.

Back