What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera collinsiae "Faryland"

Some nice sunshine today let me take some photos.  This plant (a likely natural hybrid of Drosera burkeana and D. madagascariensis) spends almost equal time  looking as above, and also in a withered state.  I have had it for two seasons, and so far it was reverted to a sort of center resting bud every winter, resuming growth when the day length increases.

The golden color and red glands is very typical of many South African species.

Drosera_collinsiae_Faryland_041004_2.jpg

Drosera_collinsiae_Faryland_041004_2.jpg

Pretty sundew! Is that okay to put it in the post? I recently learned how and am going nuts with it.

Better teach me, lol. I was going to say that your plant looks identical to mine, but it IS mine!

Yup, it's yours! I should be so skilled as to have a plant so beautiful and red. It's like one of my spatulata wannabe's.
biggrin.gif

No skill needed, just light, and lots of it! The plant does the rest.

That's a beautiful, BIG photo.
wink.gif

As always, a stunning plant. You just have to love those 'dews.

Nice plant William.. It looks very similar to D.saptulata, doesn´t it?
What are the differences?

Hi Sebastian,

There are many differences as would be expected from plants from such disjunct populations.

D. spatulata is an Indo/Australian species, while D. collinsiae is a South African hybrid.

In brief, D. collinsiae has nearly glaborous petioles, more tetrete than elliptical in cross section vs. D. spatulata. In D. collinsiae the petiole is always glandless, and widens abruptly at the end into the obovate to spathulate lamina. D. spatulata usually has some stalked glands along the petiole (although this is variable). In D. collinsiae, the leaf undersurface is glaborous, whereas D. spatulata will be found to have small white hairs. Seed pods of D. collinsiae have the sepals clasped around the pods, whereas D. spatulata finds them reflexed. Seeds of D. collinsiae are ovoid and retuculate, D. spatulata are typically ovoid with longitudinal rows of elongated pits. There are other significant differences as well. To my eye, D. collinsiae looks nothing like D. spatulata, but I am a little obsessed with this genus, lol, in case you haven't noticed! Thanks for asking!

Darn, William beat me to - I was just going to say the same thing.
wink.gif

Very informative post!

I was looking at this particular plant as it compared with others which I grow, and I do find this one to be a little different looking: the petioles have more hairs and in cross section seem more elliptical vs tetrete. So this one may have some intergrading with another species. I'm looking forward to seeing the flowers again soon on all of them.

Well, glad you like the taxonomy stuff. Its always fun to compare the differences between different species, and I enjoy offering my w.e.i.r.d. opinion <snort>

On this score late breaking news is I have it on good authority that Robert Gibson will soon publish a paper on the "species concept" in the ACPS that is sure to be enlightening to all who want to know the answer to the timeless question: "HUH?"

Great news Tamlin, are you subscribed to ACPS?

I'm not really sure! I think I may have been inducted as I have been receiving the Journal! I have an article pending publication there on "Temperate Bogs" and another just completed on the way in which I cultivate D. graminifolia and D. regia, so maybe that puts me "in". I will get to read the article by Robert prior to its publication when I review it at any rate, and I have been had a fine correspondance on the subject with him all last week.

As an aside, I hear the book on South African Drosera is coming along from Robert as well, hopefully in 2005.

Hi,

I'm a member of the ACPS (see their website: http://www.acps.org.au/), I think it's well worth joining, especially if you are interested in Drosera or Utricularia (as there are many native species of these in Australia). I'm looking forward to reading your articles William, and I'm hoping to compose an article for a local fieldtrip I will be doing here in Wales this summer (hopefully) for the ACPS journal - they need all the articles they can get!

Back