What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different variaties of D.intermedia 'cuba'???

Hello, i have two different kinds of D.intemedia. One is from Jerramiah in the US and one from Jalan Kayu in singapore
here are the pics:

this is the top view of D. intermedia 'cuba' from Jerramiah:
D_intermedia_001.jpg

they are tiny and many are flowering
zoominging in:
D_intermedia_002.sized.jpg

This is D. intermedIa 'cuba' from Jalan kayu:
It is only about 3 months older than the smaller version
D_intermedia_010.sized.jpg

LOOK! A plant on a flower flowering!
D_intermedia_012.sized.jpg

hmmm there seems to be 2 different variaties of D.intermedia 'cuba'
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

thanks

I am no expert in Drosera identification, but the first one looks suspiciously like D. capillaris.
rock.gif

Hmm... my D. intermedia 'Cuba' were a little more compact than your second variety. They looked more like Jeremiah's clone when they were young.

They may just be different clones, but if I had to make a decision, I might say that the second clone is actually a different form of D. intermedia. I guess you can tell if it starts to form hibernacula or not.

SF

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wezx @ April 12 2004,2:44)]Hello, i have two different kinds of D.intemedia. One is from Jerramiah in the US and one from Jalan Kayu in singapore
here are the pics:

"This is D. intermedIa 'cuba' from Jalan kayu:"
Hi JK here,

I don't think I have mentioned this as D. intermedIa 'cuba' but as D. intermedIa "Psco Co. Fla, USA"

Hi wezx,
Glad to see the plants are doing well, the last pics show an example of “False vivipary”, which also occurs often in my source plants.

JK

oops! i must have confused it with another D. intemediate 'cuba i recieved 3 packets of seeds...
biggrin.gif

False vivipary? it' looks so cool, flower on a flower!
so it requires dormancy?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wezx @ April 12 2004,4:41)]so it requires dormancy?
Not in our climate!! Will grow whole year round
biggrin.gif

One of my D. intermedia went dormant early this year. It began to come back to normal growth in late March.
smile.gif

I also don't claim to be an expert, but I agree with Gugin's assessment of that first pic.

Regards,

Joe

I would also be inclined to agree with the other opinions. The plants in the first photo are not D. intermedia.

Regarding the D. intermedia "Cuba", my plants occasionally produce hibernacula. I am suspicious of the supposed origin of this form, since no other tropical D. intermedia has ever gone dormant.

Yeah the first plant looks like D.capilaris definately not D.intermedia unless they are very young.

hmmm, it is flowering so it must not be so young, Yay! I have another form!
are you guys sure it is D capillaris? Jerramiah from the US supposed to send me D intermediate but i think he got mixed up!

Good thing its not D. capensis (so easy grower in the US, cursed in singapore!) Probably due to singapore's 'hot and tropical' climate.
Does D. capillaris grow well in singapore? Keep getting those two mixed up...
biggrin.gif

That means my tiny 'intermedia' must be capillaris too, as I got it from wezx!
Woohoo!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Hmmm... you will be able to tell when they mature a bit more.  The D. intermedia 'Cuba' have much more upright growth than the D. capillaris.  I will say that they look exactly like my D. intermedia 'Cuba' seedlings.

Here's my two as a comparison.

D. intermedia 'Cuba' seedling.

D_Intermedia_Cuba_Resized.jpg

D. capillaris seedling

D_capillaris_Resized.jpg

To me at least, the D. intermedia 'Cuba' looks the most likely.  You will easily be able to tell when they become more mature though.

SF

SF, what planting medium do u use? Looks like LFS and peat moss...
those are good lookin plants you got there - dewdrops are huge!
wink.gif

The plants are too immature and atypical due to low light culture to really be sure. The petioles of D. intermedia are glaborous and nearly round in cross section vs D. capillaris which has hairs present on the petiole which is elliptical in cross section. Hope this helps.

Jason,

I grow all my plants (excepty pygmies) in pure LFS. They seem to like it.
wink.gif

SF

Back