What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuberous growing strange.

Hello to you all. I havent been here for some time and glad to look in here again at last.
I have a D. macrophylla tuber wich i planted about two months ago when it started to show signs of growth. It was bought from Australia at Lowries. Any way i planted it at a soil mix of some Peat sand and gravel. It took some time for the growing steam to reach the surface (i didnt plant it deep). Now the small leafs are starting to open but they are staying small and red.
What could be the reasons for this? Is it because the revers seasons(its geting warm here)?

Any comments would be very apriciated.

Thanks

YtK

Not exactly sure what is wrong as I have never received tubers from the Au, but I do know that the plants prefer cool or mild temperatures when they are in growth. If the sun is very strong in your area and the weather is warming up, you might want to consider using some shade cloth.

Phil Wilson in the UK grows many of these species, and he has told me that he thinks growth and dormancy is photoperiod related to some degree. You might try extending the season by limiting the photoperiod (of course this means growing them under lights in a controlled area) since these are short day growers.

I am having the same result with D. gigantea, and I note that my seedlings make larger and better traps than my mature tubers sent from Australia, which remain very spindley. D. stolonifera on the other hand grows very well, so I think it is probably species related as well as environmental.

Good luck with your efforts. D. macrophylla is a beautiful species!

IMHO older plants grow quickly and do not care about the first leaves. If the plant gets taller, it will have real leaves and flowers.

Jan

Hi . Thanks very much all for answering. I hope they grow this time ok but hope they will pop up again at winter next time as Peter damato in his book says that should happen.

Thanks again

YtK

Back