What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera adelea self propagating

Hi Jim.

Sorry 'bout that - got a bit sidetracked!  
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I agree with Glenn - you may want to repot your plants into fresh compost. You can use either 50:50 Peat + Sand, or equal parts Peat + Sand + Perlite, or pure Sphagnum Moss (living or chopped - some Perlite mixed in is optional). Basically Drosera adelae likes an "open" yet moisture-retentive mix. Also, like Glenn, I stand my plants in a tray or saucer of rainwater / "soft" water rather than water from above. The other conditions (temp and light) sound ok (this species will grow well anywhere between 10C [50F] and 25C [??F - I don't know degrees F really!], and even survive temps down to 5C [40F] for a while). The humidity sounds ok too - but I find that  D.adelae can also tolerate lower humidity than the other "Queensland Forest Sundews", and for me also grows well as an "open" windowsill plant - but bear in mind I'm in West Wales in the UK, and our natural humidity here may be higher than where you live. Also, you said you purchased the plant in November - it may be that they just haven't settled down enough yet in their new home to flower, give them a bit of time (some of mine are only just showing new flower buds now, when they last flowered around September). This is quite an easy and tolerant Sundew. Also, if it ever appears to die, don't throw the plant away: this species sometimes dies off above ground, but almost always returns to life from new shoots sprouting from the roots and runners in the pot if kept damp - can take 1 to 6 months to resprout. I would say the same about many other species of Sundew too, if they die off above ground don't discard them immediately as they often have a habit of resprouting from the roots - you just have to be patient!

Anyway, good luck with this nice Sundew, and let us know how you get on. I hope this info helps a bit!  
smile.gif

I've also had plantlets sprout from the leaves...nothing new really.

I agree with Seandew...the flowers would be much nicer if they were larger. With the sun behind them, they look like little stars.

Back