What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery bugs

I have a tiny little green mystery bug.  The only time I have ever seen them is when my three burmanni greens (all from different sources, in seperate pots and planted in different medium) are flowering.  They climb up the flower stem and just sit there.  They do not appear to do any damage but never appear on any of my burmanni red flowers, some of which are in the same pots with the greens.

This is the best pic I could get because they are soooo tiny.  Can anyone identify them and why would they only appear on my "greens"?
bugs.sized.jpg

Hey,
Those are leaf hoppers. They make their home on flower stalks and grass blades. Often you will see a large amount of white foam like stuff, which is their salavia. They sleep in the saliva, and it also keeps predators form seeing them
smile.gif

They look like aphids to me.

Unlikely to be leaf hoppers, I can't see any wings. I'm pretty sure that they are aphids. If they are aphids they will be doing some damage to the flowerscapes and I would suggest you get rid of them as quickly as possible. They spread incredibly quickly and every member of the population can reproduce without sexual activity. The entire population are females that have a reserve of sperm that lasts their entire life cycle.

Don't know why they only prefer the green burmannii, maybe it is a camouflage thing.

Kill them, Kill them all!!
mad.gif

Sean.

Naw, they got no wings.
Seandew, "Kill them, Kill them all!!"
That is easy to say but how dooo I dooo that...what is a good safe spray to use?
sad.gif

Perhaps submerge the plants underwater for some time. Surely that'll fix them.

How did you get them to stand still like that? Nice pic!

Anyways, on to the subject. I would quarantine the infected plant immediately. These pests have been known to destroy an entire collection.
wow.gif

SF

I have same problems about pests:angry:
I had used a drosera leaf to stick them out and kill them:angry:
Does is work
rock.gif

rex

They sure do look like aphids to me as well. I had purchased a Sarracenia purpurea from a local shop and found out a few weeks later that the greenhouse they were in had an aphid infestation and that my S. purpurea was also infested. I tried to remove them by hand, actually squashing them in my fingers and against the plant. This seemed to work in the beginning, but they soon appeared in large numbers. I ended up submerging the plant in a bucket of water for 3 days. This took care of the problem.

From your photo, they do not have wings so they do not appear to be on the move. However, they may have come from another plant in the area. Keep an eye out for other plants with aphids.

I think they look like aphids and I agree with Nick. The submerging the plant for a day or two is not going to hurt the plant, but it will hurt the aphids, most likely. Best of all, it's chemical free and ....mostly cost free as well.

Regards,

Joe

Captain, Do pings eat aphids?
That would be an easy solution for me.
Since the burmanni is flowering, I hesitate to submerge it at this time.

Is Sevin available there? I use this powdered insecticide with sundews and it kills aphids without harming the plants.

Back