What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. spatulata flowering :-)

My D. Spatulata is flowering. It has 3 stocks popping up. Do they self pollinate? Has anyone else had experience? Please tell me :)

Yes they self pollinate. Soon you'll have more seedlings and seeds than you know what to do with.

SF

I've got one, too. Can I verify which type I have from the flowers?

Congrats! I know the excitement I have D.spat#1,and D.spatulata "fraser island"(?) sending up scapes atm. Looks like the flowers will be a nice deep pink:)

I too have flowers, at what point do I remove the pods of seed?

Fraiser island has white flowers, regular has pink flowers
smile.gif

Once the seed pods are black, dead, dry, and crackling, remove the seed pods and gently crunch them over a piece of paper, and BAM! you got a million seeds
biggrin.gif

Fraser Isalnd Drosera spatulata do flower white, and this helps as a possible suggestion if the collection data is not known, but flowers will not reveal the plants origins.

There are a few tumb rules: white flowered forms are likely from the Queensland area in Australia, or from New Zealand. Very small rosetted plants are likely to have originated in Borneo or Hong Kong. The latter usually have very short peduncles.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I get the seeds I'll ask how to sprout them etc.
smile.gif

Seeds are fun.:D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaptainDrosera @ April 19 2004,10:00)]YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I get the seeds I'll ask how to sprout them etc.
smile.gif

Seeds are fun.:D
Yeah, what he said!

Does "regular" mean kanto or kansai?

Drosera spatulata 'Frasier IS. QLD' was originally know as Drosera lovellae due to notable difference in the flower structure. Once botanists got an idea how variable Drosera spatulata really is it was eventually reduced to it present status. It common name is still Lovellae's Sundew. Also I do believe there is a few populations of white flowering spatulata on mainland Australia to make things more confusing. One other thing New Zealand has five different forms of spatulata.Each is described by Bruce Salmon in his book Carnivorous Plants of New Zealand.

Khoas,

You might want to correct that spelling to read "Fraser Island".

Jim,

The Kansai form is a likely hybrid of D. spatulata x D. rotundifolia, and its distribution is very limited. So, the regular form would not include the Kansai form which has some significant differences.

Back