What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera madagascarensis

Hi, I just got one of these D. Madagascarensis plants. I was just wondering:
1. How big do they get
2. How much humidity
3. Are they rare at all

Thank you whoever responds.

I don't want it to die
sad.gif

I have had plants reach over a foot tall. When they topple over, new plants form from the base. The plants go dormant sometimes at which time you should just let them sit as they have been until new growth resumes from the base. This species likes warm conditions.

Humidity of at least 40-50 % is advised. I don't grow mine in terraria, but on a rack as with all my plants. They require much light for good typical growth and color.

They are becoming less rare it seems. There are several different forms floating about, but keep in mind this is a caulescent (tall stem forming) species. There is much ID confusion related to the fact that for decades D. nidiformis was sold under the name of D. madagascariensis by various nurseries, and the seed redistributed to seed banks all over the world. If it doesn't climb upwards, it is likely not to be the true species.

I have a D. Nidiformis and it looks more like a D. Capensis!!!!!!! Anyways, do you think I can grow it on my desk. It's there right now with one of the PFT mini-terrariums. (No cover top) If you have a pic please show
biggrin.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>
biggrin.gif
, Drosera madagascariensis, now one of my favorite sundew. I appreciate how they keep growing taller and taller, yet rarely lose their fresh dewey appearance.</span>

It is a very rewarding species. I believe there are several different clones in cultivation. I am looking for the var. major form, and am curious to see how it compares to the "Botswana" plants.

i agree with what the experts just said about madagascarensis. It is a very, very rewarding plant, for the beauty just never stops; when it starts off small and slowly grows to a giant. If it starts to topple, tye the stem of the plant to a narrow stick and insert in soil, it would make it last longer. Don't be alarmed if the parent dies down, plantlets shall sprout via roots.

Back