What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can tuberous drosera grow outside?

Hi, I'm ordering a tuberous drosera soon and I'm wondering if you can grow them outside in this weather?
70-80 degrees day
50-60 night
humidity day (higher at night) about 55-60
and lots of light
this is southern california by the way.
thanks

-captain  
smile.gif

Pretty close to Australian conditions, if anything thing it bit warm at night. Tuberous sundew do like the long cool night. I do grow all my tuberous sundew outdoor in full sun in every large pots (Up to 12" - 14" pots)
Sun is a must with out sun many species will flower poorly.

since I'm his brother I can say that it gets kind of cool at night, maybe down to 45 in the winter.

Outdoors is fine. I think the long day photoperiod might interfere somewhat though. I have had good results outdoors with D. peltata, whittakeri, stolonifers, menziesii and gigantea from early spring into July when most of the plants die back. I am not sure if it is from photoperiod or heat.

I finding number of factors seem to play a part in dormancy and the breaking of dormancy. Genetic, I think, play a major part especially with start of growth. While moisture level in the potting mix seem to important once growth has started, I alway have noticed that there flush of plants breaking the surface for about three days after a good rain, yet when I water them I don't get the same effect, even if I allow them to go dry for week or so. So is something in "natural" rainstorm that signal to the plants that it is a good time to break surface. Maybe the dissolved nitrogen in rain, I don't know though, we don't get that much lighting around here.
Average night temperature and with some species photoperiod seem set off dormancy, it certainly not moisture levels. In fact I try to keep Drosera peltata out dormancy but have fail so far. The reason I don't mention day temperature is that they change by 10 C or more in between two days here.
On the whole I find the West Australian species more set in their ways while their middle and eastern counterparts are more fexiable in their habit. In fact Drosera peltata from different locations will have different starts to their growth cycle. For example South Australian peltata will begin to appear in June while plants from Glanmire, New South Wales will begin appear as early as April, 8 week difference. Both will go into dormancy at around the same time.

Back