What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis budding?

losfreddy

Composter
Ive had this D Capensis for some time now. Got thru someone on these fourms. Nows theres a new leaf thats growing out that looks like it has several little bulbs at the end of it and growing straight up above everything else. Is this the start of a budding or podding, or what ever it means to flower and make seeds?

Yes, this is a flower stalk. Just wait for it to do its thing. It will self pollinate and you will have seeds all over the place!

SF

Or, if you want even more seed, rub the flower with your finger
biggrin.gif

It's only your magic finger that does that, Spec!
biggrin.gif
(I'm kidding!)

SF

Does anybody have a pic of a capensis, at the VERY beginning of stalk development? Mine is showing something fuzzy, different looking than the normal leaves, emanating from the center.

Does sound the beginning of a flower stalk. Cape sundew will flower when ever is warm enough. Unless you want seedlings it normal to cut the flower stalks off. Two reasons, first is that a Cape will shrink due to the energy it puts into flowering. The second is of course is you end up to your eyeball in Capes.

Really? Cool whip! Unless you are referring to Los freddy. In that case, never mind.

I'm just looking for seeds as trade bait. Goes along with the D. spatulata that everybody has and no one wants.
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Hey jimscott, I may be intrested in some D. spatulata., whether you would wanna trade for D Capensis seeds i dunno. And ill show you a photo of my stalk just after the rain quits here.

Hey Khoas, are you telling me that i should cut the stalk off to save the plant?

No, Losfreddy, you do not need to cut the stalk. The plant will be fine. The only problem is, you may get hundreds of seedlings all over the place! This plant can quickly become a weed if left to flower continuously.

SF

Also flowering weakens the plant although the blooms are quite pretty.

A healthy bug chomping D. capensis should be able to take it no problem though.

SF

Does the initial development of the flower stalk look something like a light green caterpillar or pipe cleaner? That's what is developing and looking different than the endless leaves that preceded it.

That sounds like a pretty good description of the way the flower stalk i have now developed. I couldnt figure out what it was till i saw all of the small little round things at the end. The big difference between leaves and a flower stalk i noticed was that the stalk was hairy all the way around and right up to the base, unlike leaves You should have a bunch of flowers soon, but good luck seeing them open they only stay open for a few hours. Out of 12 on my plant now i saw 1 open

Ktulu

I keep my plants are work and am there Monday-->Friday, 7:30---->~6 pm. Do I stand a good chance of seeing them in bloom?

Yep. My Drosera typically bloom in the morning sometime, averaging around 10 A.M.

SF

Ever seen a cape having instead of flowers on the scape it had leaves. Had one once It was capensis 'alba', lost it about two years ago:(

What a bummer! Better keep an eye on my pre-adolescent alba next year.

Back