What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata seed

I have a Drosera binata that has been blooming now for a month. This is probably a multifida judging by the forked bloom stalk and the newest two leaves forming an additional fork on one side.

Anyway, I am sure that seed is being produced due to a swelling of the ovary after the blooms finish. What I wanted to know is how long does it take for the seed to mature and when will be the time to harvest it before it spills all over the place by itself?

Here is a photo of the bloom.

binata-flower.jpg

Here is a photo of the new seed pods.

binata_seed-pod.jpg

Cheers,
Sean

When the middle seeds pods are just turning black I would harvest the seeds.
The lower ones have not got seeds in them. BTW does your binata have 4 points on each adult leaf, if it does it dichotoma form. If it under about 15cm tall, red in colour, and the fact it self seeds I would guess it a Drosera binata vvar. dichotoma "Small Red". All other binata forms I encountered need two clones to produce good seed set. By the look of your photo you are going get so some seeds.

that looks like mine, i dont think they produce any seeds...

Of course its possible, just that the chances are low...

If you look at the photo, about 4 pods up from the bottom you notice two pods which are swelling up as if they got seeds in them.

Back