What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.sp 'cuba' ?

Hi William and others...

Here is the thread about Drosera sp. 'Cuba'.

I got this plant as D.sp 'Cuba' and I think this to be a very special plant. It always produces one flower at the mid of the flower scape and this flower with a very long pedicel. The rest of the flowers are produced at the tip of the scape like a normal sundew. The plants grow easy without dormancy and self pollinate without help giving seed and the offspring has always the same flower scape caracteristic.

A pic of the plant:
D.sp.Cuba-PD-1.jpg

and a pic of the flower scape:
D.sp.Cuba-PD-2.jpg

Anyone's D.sp 'Cuba' has the same characteristics??

Thank you Sebastian for starting this topic and posting your photos.

Most of what will be in circulation as "Sp. Cuba" will be Peter D'Amato's Drosera intermedia 'Cuba': which is a ostensibly tropical small form of Drosera intermedia, and is a legitimate cultivar, the standard being published with a photo in The Savage Garden.

This is a whole different Drosera "Cuba", and it has nothing to do at all with Drosera intermedia.  Growers should not immediately assume that the plants they get from seed labelled Drosera "Cuba" will always be D. intermedia, since it is apparent that this particular plant in the above photos is also circulating under the same (or similar) name.

The use of D. intermedia 'Cuba' is legitimate (and in single quotes which indicates just this), but the use of D. "Cuba" for the above plant is bogus, and will create much confusion as time passes.  This is another example of why formal names are so important, as well as a dedicated establishment to monitor and control their usage.

I would like to see this plant registered under a different name, since it is likely to have wide distribution among growers.  Having such a standard photo as above would make it easy for growers to immediately identify this plant, since I have been told the scape formation is a stable characteristic. I doubt this species is to be found in Cuba, but it is an interesting plant. I have seen that scape somewhere Sebastian, and wish I could see it in more detail.

Looks kinda like that PTC-1 D. spathulata I got from you William.

Very lovely. It seems that Lowrie once had a "sp something" were the "something" referred to the scape being split like that, but I can't remember..........I just remember I have a catalog in my back pack. It says, D. "sp forked scape" from S. America.

Regards,

Joe

Looks a lot like my soon-to-be-blooming D. spatulata I got from Home Depot, including the flower bud color. Pic coming soon.

Well, curiouser and curiouser! I don't think this is D. spatulata: the seed pods are round with the sepals clasped about the end of the ripening pods (no D. spatulata I have ever seen has clasped sepals). Nor do I think this is a South American species.

Also the scape is recurved from the base, and the buds aren't clustered to the side as with D. spatulata. The scapes are glandular pilose: I think these features are more consonant with the South African species.

Sebastian, can you say what the seeds are like? Are they rolly polly, or more fusiform?

Christian, your plant looks a lot like mine, it must be the same as mine also originated from germany. Thanks for the pics, I have never seen an open flower in my plants.

I also don´t think it is D.spatulata, i think it is something else.

William, the seed are quite small but from what i can see here (dont have the microscope here) they are a little fusiform.

I will try to send you some this weekend.

Regards.

You know me - EVERYTHING (except non-pigmy sundews) looks like a spatulata! You're right, though, my plant has pods that are more elongated than the one pictured. The bud color is the same, though.

Christian,

AHA!  I knew I had seen this scape from somewhere, and I bet your plants are where it was.

I recall this now.  This is most certainly a hybrid, and I would speculate that it is a  fertile tetraploid as well based on the abberant petals....oh, I really would like to see this plant!!

I asked Robert about it, and he tell's me it reminds him of a plant circulating in Australia as Drosera spatulata 'Tanega'.  I told him if this was D. spatulata I flunked Spatulata  101 and he taught the course! I'll let you know what he replies, LOL.
I think it was a test!

Most people think all of them look like Drosera roundandstickya! Jim, y'all just hang around here and you'll get edjamacated.  It really is a matter of internalizing small details of flower, hairs, scapes, and seed.  Pretty soon you'll be W'E'I'R'D' too, and be mumbling things like "adnate stipules" in your sleep.

You know, Valerie can ID a car coming down the road half a mile away, make, model and sometimes year.  To me, they are all cars.  Some are blue.  Some are gold.  I get real fancy sometimes and add big blue car to my description, or old blue car.  It's because I never really cared that much for cars.  She's lucky to be able to tell a Ping from a Drosera, lol.
It's funny, not too many are attracted to the science of taxonomy, but its fun getting to know the plants in intimate detail.

I have a lot more to say on this plant once I hash some things out with Mr. Gibson. I have a hunch as to what the parents might be of this plant, but I want my test back first.

Would one of the parents have to have a double scape? That is an odd thing for a hybrid to exhibit, especially if it produces seed resulting in the same trait.
Tamlin knows his stuff though..

Joe

LOL! I'm already weird, but am striving for W.E.I.R.D.! At least I am well-versed in stolons & rolons & lolons - oh my!

I know I've seen a plant like that somewhere before...

Griffin, it could be from the parents, but if we have a 4n plant that alone could be enough to make the flower stem respond oddly.  I can't remember the plant, but in our genetics class we looked at an extream example of this one kind of plant that rangest from something like 2n-14n o_O  And every vertion looked exactly alike except the scape and seed pods formed in different patterns and shapes.  Plants can be funny like that.  ... I wish I could remember were I saw a scape like that before....   Next time I'm at the gardens I'll check over the drosera collection to see if that is were I saw it.

...Which reminds me.  Tamlin, at the miejer gardens we have a weird trait in about 50% of our capenensis.  The petioles are flattened out, almost winged to be as wide as the blade.  It cuts in just before the blade like in a VFT.  Some have it more then others, but the most notable are those that have wider then average traps and a much wider petiol to boot. Is this the "wide" type?

I grow a plant that is almost identical to Christians. I received mine as Drosera sp. 'Pretty rosette'. There was a thread back a while ago where both Christian and I posted photos of our plants. Mine have just finished flowering and are currently producing seed. So, unfortunately I can't get photos of the flowerscape at the moment.

Here's an old photo of the plant. It looks just like a small D. dielsiana and often has only 4 petals. There are never more than 4 flowers and the scape is only about 10 cms (4 inches) tall.

Drosera%20sp.%20Pretty%20Rosette.jpg

Jmmm.. it looks this plant is widely distributed and has very stable characteristics. What do you think tamlin? I think there is enough info, and the plant is nicely enough as to register a new cultivar??

I think its a very beautiful plant and it would be nice to have a single name standard to call it by since it seems its been circulated under a variety of names.

I wish more plants were registered to avoid just this problem. ID would be much easier with a set standard to go by.

Egads, another name!

Sean, do you recall if your flower scape also divided as in Sebastian's photo?

You know, there are different thoughts regarding cultivar publication. I beleieve the system was likely devised more for the horticulture trade, the be able to introduce new, desirable and marketable clones.

The system would also be very well employed in my opinion to resolve issues like this one, so yes, I think this would be a good candidate for registration, especially if the flower scape form is a stable characteristic. It's uniqueness would be the defining characteristic, and we could get rid of a bunch of confusing and useless bogus names in the process.

I want to dig a little first. Sebastian, you mentioned your friend in Germany said this plant was originally collected by Paul Debbert. I wonder if there is a way to get the story from Mr. Debbert himself. Do you think you might be able to ask your friend to help us with that? I do not have any introduction to or contact information for Paul Debbert. If it is confirmed by PAul that this is one of his (many)introductions, I would like to have his name associated with the plant "Debbert's Double Troubler" immediately sings in my consciousness.......

So, all you different growers of this plant: is the forked scape a stable characteristic, or at least present on a significant portion of the flowering plants? This is the key focus.

Mine produces a flowerscape exactly the same as Sebastian and Christians. I just checked my plants in the greenhouse and there is a scape on one that has finished flowering long ago. I may take a photo of it today.

Hi,

As far as i know, this plant was distributed commercially by Dr. Eberhard Koenig here in Germany. There are many more here, who grow this one. I have been told, the scape is a stable characteristic of this plant.

Sebastian, Did you get this plant from a german grower? If so, please let me know (per Mail, please), who has given you the plant. I would like to see, if there is a chance to trace back the origin and maybe even to get location data of it.

Christian

William, I don´t know if it was Debbert who collected this plant but it was him who gave it to my friend in Germany. I have e-mailed some info to Christian just to see if he can find the real origin of it.

By the way.. I am sending you the seed today.

Back