What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other pics of my plants

some droseras

D. adelae enjoying the company of a few ants over dinner
biggrin.gif

DSC01243.JPG

Unknown drosera, probably burmanii or something of the like. i took a picture of a the flower once, but i lost it. the flowers are pink with 5 petals, septals and 6-7 stamens.
DSC01245.JPG

some newly obtained D. spatulata
DSC01247.JPG

another unknown drosera hides in the corner of the pot. came as burkeana, but it may be something else. waiting for flower
DSC01250.JPG

hope you liked them. Zongyi
smile.gif

your unkown drosera under the pic of the adeale is most likely a spatulata, probabaly D.spatulata 'kansai', the one that came as burkeana looks like D.dielsiana.

wow you have a great adelae! looks like a schizandra
wink.gif

thanks Cephalotus88 for the identification help
smile.gif
. Droseradude, unfortunately, i dont know how a schizandra looks like so i have no idea of what you are talking about
laugh.gif
. i have another adelea and i plan on planting all 3 (there is 2 in the first pot) in one large pot. Zongyi

I've been hearing a lot about D.dielsiana these past few days...is it the season or is it just a cool plant to talk about?
wink.gif

What IS a 'schizandra'. Never heard of that b4...
biggrin.gif

The p;ant in the corner does have a lot in common with D. dielsiana, but it also looks like a plant I grow which was circulated back in the 70's and 80's by World Insectivorous Plants under the name of D. burkeana. This plant is not D. burkeana, but it has some differences from D. dielsiana as well, so I speculate that it is a possible hybrid of these two closely related South Africans.

Drosera schizandra is another of the 3 "Queensland Sisters" native to Queensland, Australi, the other being D. prolifera. D. schizandra is very close to D. adelae, except it is even more fussy in cultivation. Seeing Zongyi's plant of D. adelae leads me to suppose he could grow an excellent specimen of D. schizandra. The lamina of Zongyi's plant is very green and healthy: no fungus involvement at all, and this is what D. schizandra loves. The largest specimen I have ever seen had leaves just this shade and quality. The leaves were as broad as my palm.

Jason, D. dielsiana is a very variable species, the third largest in Africa. It is a heck of a lot of fun to grow different batches and compare the plants. Because of the wide variability, I tend to define the species mostly from its
seed. If this species isn't making the rounds in your neck of the woods, PM me and I will send some seed off to you. It's a very nice species, an easy grower although it is somewhat weedy in my collection. I grow about 5 different looking forms.

thank you Tamlin. to tell you the truth, i actually thought my adelae looked horrible!
biggrin.gif
. about the drosera in the corner of the pot. i remember when you told me that dielsiana had round petioles when cut. well, this one has some very flat petioles
sad.gif
. oh well, still fun to watch the grow
tounge.gif
. Zongyi

Maybe you are confused with which species has the petioles round in cross section? D. dielsiana would be more half moon shaped, or elliptical. D,. burkeana would have a round (tetrete) cross section.

Regarding D. adelae lamina: it's all how you like it with this plant. Some grow it harder and get the red and chocolate colered lamina, and thinner and tougher leaves. D. schizandra would like this type of culture less well I think. D. adelae can be sensitive to fungi problems, and your plants are pristine. Whatever you are doing, keep it up. The green coloration with lack of reds indicates lower light conditions, and your culture would probably benefit from additional lighting, but all in all you have a very good thing going!

Wow... very green and healthy!
biggrin.gif

Zongyi, I too believe the unknown Drosera as D. spatulata 'kansai' (a.k.a. tokaiensis). The ones you gave me are now olive green in color with red glands since I grow them with much more lighting. Coincidently, my D. adelae also is the same color with longer, thinner leaves.

Nice pics...
smile.gif

thanks Tamlin and Charles
biggrin.gif
. i believe its time to change my lighting, the 500 hour life is way over!
tounge.gif
Zongyi

Back