What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew flower stalk leaning over

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
One of my D. spatulata stalks is doing the leaning Tower of Pisa thing. It was straight up and has been steadily moving to a 45 degree angle. Does it need more light?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 09 2004,4:17)]One of my D. spatulata stalks is doing the leaning Tower of Pisa thing. It was straight up and has been steadily moving to a 45 degree angle. Does it need more light?
nope. I've had them grow vertically, then get so tall they topple over
biggrin.gif

Well, there is some variation even in habitat. Generally speaking, plants with enough light will be fairly straight, but conditions in cultivation are rarely as good as in nature, so some etiolation is inevitable (larger rosettes, taller and thinner scapes).

The best indicator of sufficient light is the color of the lamina and stalked glands: if they are nice and red, then the plant is receiving good light, and this will support flowering and good seed set.

Sorry. Here, let me put on my Professor's hat, where is the thing.......ah. Better.

Lamina is a term used to describe the part of the leaf where the stalked glands are to be found. The other part of the leaf, where there are no glands, is termed the petiole.

Both terms are very often used in describing Drosera species.

Regarding the petiole, some other terms you might run into would be glaborous: meaning without hairs. So, the term "glaborous petiole" should call to mind that part of the leaf that has no stalked glands (since these are confined to the lamina), and also no hairs. The opposite would be "hirsute" or hairy: the absence or presence of hairs on the petiole reveal much in the study of this genus.
Petioles may be straight sided, or tapering. The tapering may be gradual or abrupt. The petiole taken in cross section may be described in many different degrees as well.

In regards to the lamina, it can have different shapes. Lamina may be round (or rotundate), as in D. rotundifolia, spathulate: shaped like a baseball bat cut in half (as in D. spathulata), truncate, terminating in a straight line, as if cut off, (e.g. D. aliciae, D. brevifolia). The qualitative terms may also be combined and modified: sub-rotund (almost round) or spathulate-obovate (widely tapering baseball bat, lol), etc.

Lamina may be erect (as in D. intermedia)or D. venusta, prostrate (or adpressed) as in D. spatulata.

There are many more terms, but these are some that are frequently used. Using these terms it is possible to describe many species of Drosera, and to discuss their likenesses and differences.
Taxonomy is more than a science: it is an art! There is real beauty in someones ability to describe a plant so exactly.

Well, between Friday and Monday the stalk has now become horizontal. A second stalk is totally vertical. A third stalk has emerged. I put all my spats outside since we are now having a heat wave. I did a net search for the word tendril. Lotsa sites and verbal descriptions. One picture. The best description was one depicting a plant that had tendrils that wrapped themselves around solid objects - like a grapevine or pumpkin. Not sure what that is analogous to a CP.

You're asking me? I am a Nep Nurd, and have never looked at their taxonomy. I assume the lamina would be regarded at the actual pitcher, the tendril being that which attaches the lamina to the petiole. But you'd be better off asking Tony to be sure.

Since we are now having Florida weather, I decided to put more plants outside, including my collection of "weeds" - the spats. The last inch of the now horizontal stalk has turned upwards. A second stalk grew a few inches over the weekend and is totally vertical. A third stalk has emerged. Are the tendrils the red hairs of the stalk?

Jim, my spats' flower stalks do the exact same thing yours are doing. Every one of them look healthy and grow straight up, but at some point they lean and become horizontal from the weight.

Thanx, Jaje61: Hmmmm. Do they still bloom and produce seeds for you?

Yes, the tips of the stalks curve upwards, as you were saying, and last year they bloomed like crazy. I think my biggest one had 10 or more stalks altogether. This year they are starting to do the same thing. I am still trying to get the knack of getting the seeds out without a lot of flower parts mixed in though...

This is comforting! Although I have read techniques in getting to seed pods in time and collecting, this will be my first attempt.

Update: Both stlk #1 & 2 bloomed today!
smile.gif

Back