What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. dichotoma question and a couple pics

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
My D. dichotoma is in bloom. I have read that most binata species are not self fertile. Is this true with dichotoma as well?  I have been attempting to pollinate them with a small paintbrush just in case. There was some question a few weeks ago wheather this is a dichotoma or just a large binata, since then it has formed its first multiple point leaf. Hopefully you can all see it in the somewhat poor photo. Enjoy
smile.gif

pics50804_014.jpg

pics51304_005.jpg

pics51304_007.jpg

Couldnt seem to get a good pic of the flower
sad.gif

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,

Nice photos - thanks for sharing. It certainly looks to me like the real D.binata var dichotoma 'Giant' type. I can't quite see from the photo, but if it had amber coloured tentacles then that is one distinctive indication of this variety (at least in my experience). Good luck with your plants!  
biggrin.gif

I don't think this variety is self-fertile: it may be worth crossing it with another D.binata variety or clone to produce seed.

Yes does look like young Drosera binata var dichotoma 'Gaint'. A mature plant has 4 point per leaf. It not self fertile, but will cross with other varieites. The only form I seen that it is self fertile is dichtotoma "Small Red".
The cultivar 'Marston's Dragon' is from a cross of Drosera binata dichotoma "Gaint" x binata mutlifida 'extrema'

Sweet Jesus has your collection expanded from when I saw you some time back, your Dichotoma may even rival mine!

Lmao James.. yes I have acquired quite a few new species since you were by that time. I had all of what...  3 plants then..  lmao.. If I'm not mistaken, you were the very first PFT member to contribute (the Tamlin Effect) to my collection. I still have the beautiful "Judith Hindle" you gave me, and I still think its an awesome plant
smile.gif

Thanks to All the awesome PFT members who likewise have contributed to my meger collection..  Copper, BCK, BobZ, Tamlin, Capslock (we need to hook up soon bro) Sarracenia0, Sarraceniaobcessed man the list of super people on this forum goes on and on....  anyone I left out I apologize now.. I just dont recall you all right now.. you are all awesome in my book....  but James, via the Tamlin Effect, started it out...  
biggrin.gif

Cheers
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ May 15 2004,8:46)]Lmao James.. yes I have acquired quite a few new species since you were by that time. I had all of what... 3 plants then.. lmao.. If I'm not mistaken, you were the very first PFT member to contribute (the Tamlin Effect) to my collection. I still have the beautiful "Judith Hindle" you gave me, and I still think its an awesome plant
smile.gif

Thanks to All the awesome PFT members who likewise have contributed to my meger collection.. Copper, BCK, BobZ, Tamlin, Capslock (we need to hook up soon bro) Sarracenia0, Sarraceniaobcessed man the list of super people on this forum goes on and on.... anyone I left out I apologize now.. I just dont recall you all right now.. you are all awesome in my book.... but James, via the Tamlin Effect, started it out...
biggrin.gif

Cheers
Steve
I'm just glad You're taking great care of it..better than I could..with my Reptiles I find myself neglecting a couple plants
sad.gif
So I'm on a limit for now, 4 pots...(now that doesn't limit the amount of plants in the pot now does it?) Hehe..Good luck and thanks

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So I'm on a limit for now, 4 pots...(now that doesn't limit the amount of plants in the pot now does it?)

Well....Four pots could be four 4' window boxes, couldn't it?
wink.gif

Don't tempt me..I'm already trading and getting possibly 4 utrics via the auction.. Good thing though..I'm getting a D.Regia finally
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back