What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera adelea

I have a drosera adelea(spelled wrong probably) And i have it growing in a 2.5 inch pot and it has a dome on it so the humidity keeps them nice and sticky.They are very healthy but for some reason they seem very vine like. They dont look like any of the ones i have seen in pictures mine is tall has skinny leaves and doesnt have those long stretched out leaves like others do. What is the cause of this. I have them under a desk lamp. I was also thinking of putting them outside so they can catch bugs and come out of there dome and outside were the humidity is high.

There are a few possibilities. It would help if you could describe the color of them. Green plants are getting light on the low side of normal, red on the high side.

If they're green and stretched, get a better light, and perhaps give it a bit of ventilation. I would hesitate to put them outside, because they don't like full sunlight, don't like to get wet, and unless your humidity is very high outside, will be shocked from the sudden change.

However, anything is possible.
wink.gif

They don't like full sunlight??
rock.gif

If they are stretched out and vine like, putting them directly outside will fry them in short order. You would need to get them hardened off to the poing where they look typical before you even think of placing them out.

They live in quite shady places in Queensland, Australia where they are native.

If you have it under an incandescent desk lamp, that's not very good light (although its true D. adelae prefers lower-light conditions). If you're using indoor lighting, fluorescent is much better...or a windowsill. If your plant is tall and skinny, it may be stretching to find more light.

Also keeping a dome on it is going to restrict its growth (unless its very small right now). And...D. adelae is a stem-forming plant (not vining) so it will get taller and the older leaves will die off which might make it look kind of vine-ish. But the plant will need space to spread out and grow. I have a nice clump of D. adelae at work which spreads out about 4" in width, so a dome on it would never work. Its in a tank in a window.

They do need high humidity. Consider a 10-gallon aquarium...they are pretty cheap (about $8) with a fluorescent fixture over the top.

Just a thought.
smile.gif

i will post a picture and the dome is a soda bottle .
biggrin.gif

Woah, that's cool.  Does it produce grapes?

Definitely not enough light.  It's 'stretching' (etioliating?) towards the window.

Edit: On second thought, it's trying to escape the 'Goosebumps'.

It looks to me like all of those plants are getting far too little light, if those domes all have plants under them. D. adelae is more tolerant than most of low light, so if it looks like that, i can only imagine...

take leaf cutting as safety precaution

Here's some cognitive dissonance: I've had one since November and have moved it four times, transplanting three. It has been indoors the whole time and has several plantlets. The leaves are green and the tentacles are red. It now sits open tray, in a mixture of LFS, peat, and sand, at a window sill. Guess I haven't tried hard enough to kill it.

i stuck a leaf in a test tube of spagnum and 7 plants grew off it. I will move the plant maybe outside because i moved one of its off shoots outside and it got a really nice red color to it.
biggrin.gif

I'm growing my first d.Prolifera. I've got it in an 8" fish bowl. It's still planted in the 3" pot I purchased it in. The bowl has 1/2" charcoal at the bottom with about an inch of peat moss over that. The pot is setting on top with dried long-fibered sphagnum up to the rim of the pot. There are a couple of new leaves sprouting. My question to some experienced grower out there is: How long does this species usually take to begin sending out shoots to form new plantlets? I snipped off two plantlets that came with the parent plant and transplanted them into a small terrarium with 100% long-fibered sphagnum. That was about a week ago and they seem to be adapting well. Both plants have started to send up tiny new leaves.

The time would be variable depending on the circumstances of your conditions. I grew my plants from leaves. I would estimate it took about a year and a half before the plants I got flowered and made runners. I would think that your offsets would take about that much time.

Back