What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2 drosera...

Dormancy, Do D.spatulata and D.adelae need dormancy. I heard that they dont. What if there signs of them slowing down, should I just put it into dormancy-fridge.

Neither have a true "dormancy" although they do have a period where they slow down usually after flowering, and the rosettes may wither or die back. It doesn't always happen, but it happens.

During these times I allow the mix to become slightly less wet, but still moist. I don't keep the plants in tray watering during this time as I do when they are in active growth.

After a period of time new growth begins in the center of the rosette, and the plants tend to offset then as well.

Tamlin Dawnstar, thanks for your reply!
smile.gif

WIll it hurt if I put them into dormancy-fridge

Unless your spatulata come from New Zealand i would not use the fridge. Spatulata is mostly a warm temperate to sub-tropical in it range, while Drosera adelae comes from Queensland, Australia, where rarely it goes below 25 C.

That's right - I have spats that have been thriving in a hot humid lowland nepenthes chamber for a few years. Their babies are now growing in room temperature conditions fine, as I don't want them to get used to that much heat...

No cold dormancy needed, just let them stay a little less wet if they seem not to be making new traps.

Back