What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata var. dichotoma "small red"?

Hi,

Does anyone have a photo of this plant which you could post? I have done a web search, but I can't find a photo of it.

Regards,

Christer

Give me a few months - I just had two seedlings germinate. Not sure if it is red, but it is D. binata (dichotoma).

I have not heard of D. binata var. dichotoma "small red". What do you know about this plant?

This is one of the forms mentioned in The Savage Garden.  In my experience so far, it's a slow and finicky grower compared to the weed that D. binata is, but when i first received it i thought they might be the same.

Although it's still too soon for me to tell, i do think now that it is distinct from D. binata, although to my inexperienced eye, that difference is only characterized by shorter petioles and leaf-blades, and a more upright form.

20040521-CP-D.binata%20&%20D.dichotoma%20'Small%20Red%20Form'-compared.jpg

Left: D. binata  Right: D. dichotoma 'Small Red Form' (Background D. dichotoma 'giant')

20040521-CP-D.binata%20&%20D.dichotoma%20'Small%20Red%20Form'-compared%20from%20overhead.jpg

Left: D. binata  Right: D. dichotoma 'Small Red Form'

PS Sorry for the carnage.  The binata has been serving as the clean-up crew for the flour moth infestation in the kitchen.

Hi,

Recently I got seed of this form from an Australian grower and according to him this plant has been in circulation in the Australian CP community for several year. A web search shows that it is grown elsewhere nowdays. This form is supposed to be self-fertile.

As D muscipula wrote (and I suspected) it is the same as D. dichotoma (small red form) which is mentioned in the Savage Garden book. Thanks for the photo, D. muscipula!

Regards,

Christer

Australian? Hmmmm.

As the manager of the ACPS seedbank I have seen the same plant as Drosera binata var dichotoma, Drosera binata, Drosera binata var dichotoma 'Red'. I decide using the term 'Small Red' when I read description in Savage Garden as Peter described the plants I seen cultivation here in the ACPS. It was real first step in describing in this form. It most unusual in the ability to self seed.
I would supect it comes from either Victoria or New South Wales due it dormancy timing. None of the South Australian forms I seen so far come even close to 'Small Red'.
I find it grows best in 5" pot, with lots of light.

Khoas, thanks for the information. I can't imagine what this little thing would do with a 5" pot, though. What exactly do you mean by dormancy timing? I haven't noticed any particular dormancy yet. Do you use the typical 50:50 Drosera mix?

Just for the record, this is THE 'small red form', as it's from California Carnivores. It's nice to know there is a wider group growing it.

Why isn't it red? Hmmm... dunno. Not enough light? It's getting more than the D. binata, so Khoas must not be kidding when he says it needs lots of light.

I have a plant labeled as dichotoma "small form" that is quite red. Don't know if it is the same as what you are all talking about. So far I have branches to 4 points.

Back