What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misting

Question about misting
rock.gif

Is it good/bad
Some people tell me it is good
Others say its bad.
hmmmm...

Direct (or really any) misting is bad, in my experience at least. The easiest way to make sure that your Sundew doesn't dew, is to mist it. Misting doesn't hurt the plant, but it doesn't help dew production (atleast not in the shortrun). Hope that helps.

i mist my sundews every day and afternoon ( Filiformis tracyi, Spathulata, Spatulata,Intermedia Florida, and Capillaris)
they are doin Great
although i mist them, in general misting is bad. i do it to keep the humidity up on my windowsill. water dilutes the dew on sundews makin them less sticky, although the sundew creates more dew the higher the humidity (Humidity is just one factor in determining dew production)
hope that helps,
Hellz

I used to mist my plants too when I first got them cuz I thought they needed more humidity but then some on this forum told me it's not good for sundews so I stopped. They were fine when I used mist them and they're just as fine without the mistings. I think you should just save your water and not mist your sundews. They make enough dew on their own. I have notice though that in winter my plants (two D. capensis and a bunch of D. spatulata) have bigger globs of dew than in the summer.

I don't mist. I don't even use terraria for sundews. So far, I've had no problems, and my 'dews make dew!

Capslock

I have found that in the winter (read: VERY DRY AIR), my dews do best in uncovered terraria. As long as I keep the medium amply moiste, they're just fine. In the summer, out they go! Right onto the deck. Dew's, in my experience, really seem to appreciate some air flow.

If the conditions of light and air circulation are good, misting will not harm your plants, but if you mist them inside terraria you are running the risk of fungal infections which can quickly affect "soft" grown plants. I advise against misting, the plants really do fine without it.

wooo! i used the search function!

so the advice is not to mist them - and i can accept that. I have been misting my sundews every day since i got them, and every day around noon or so, there is NO dew on them! they aren't sticky or anything - just hairy XD
So i will stop misting them from now on... but i have a question! My operation sits on a white plastic table that gets the full range of sun ALL DAY. Yup, until the sun goes up till when the sun goes down, my plants get it 100%.
But that means that the afternoon sun gets to my sundews, which i fear might hurt them. Oregon is uhm.. well... not humid... at all... like, we have a -10% humidity at all times. Should i mist?

I don't directly mist, by the way. I wait for the wind to pick up, then spray into the wind and calculate my position so that the spray is carried by the wind over all my plants. (i spray from a conventional hair styling bottle dedicated only to my plants). Should i not do this?

My plants sit in plastic green saucers which have about 3-4 inches of room from the circumfrence of the pot on all sides. I make sure that they are at least 75% full at all times, and that the soil is amply moist (which it is). Does this create enough humidity? Should i look into buying some sort of screen to filter out the afternoon sun on my segregated sundews (they get the left side of the table), or should i leave them be?

Don't mist them and don't reply to topics that have been dead for over three years next time ;)

Misting like you're talking about is pretty much the same as turning on an air conditioner for just 5 minutes a day. It's pointless. Light is more important than humidity for most Drosera. Except when taking pictures, then when you mist the way you described it will make the dew drops look larger and fuller. It's cheating but it makes for good pictures :)

Misting / water isn't what the dew is made out of and providing extra humidity is not necessary for early all CP's that will likely come our way. Decent sunlight is directly correlated with dew production.

Back