What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.capensis flower pods turned brown

Hey everyone,

I think I have asked this question before but the answer was not as clear as I would have liked. My D. capensis flowered and all of the flowers have closed. The the pods that held the flower are now all brown but the flower stalk is still green.

Is it time to harvest the seeds now?
Should the whole stalk turn brown?

I ask this becasue i would like to give the seeds away to people, but i want them to be viable. Also i do not want to have 4000 D. capensis growing, i already have enough, trust me.

Thanks
Ktulu

Proly only the pods, ask any cp grower in america, they'll know, its one of the easiest to grow (well over there anyway)
I think my bro harvests his intermidia seeds when the pods are brown, just be careful no to rip off the entire stalk though (like he did), or valuable seeds will be wasted.
smile.gif

One question, anyone know whether D.capillaris is self fertile? My baby capillaris flowered four times and I can't get seed out of it, the seed pods were empty. Any ideas?
confused.gif

Jason, I believe that D.capillaris is self fertile from what I have observed in my terrarium.  I could be wrong though.

-Homer

Re: D. capensis seed:  If the pods are brown the seed should be fine.

Re: D. capillaris self seeding: D. capillaris in my collection set seed by selfing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ May 29 2004,3:51)]Re: D. capensis seed:  If the pods are brown the seed should be fine.
Does this hold true for other Drosera - such as intermedia and anglica?

Yes:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think my bro harvests his intermidia seeds when the pods are brown, just be careful no to rip off the entire stalk though (like he did), or valuable seeds will be wasted.
smile.gif
Hehe first time I quoted meself...
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the capillaris info, sorry for being soooo newbie-like, but how do you harvest seed, and when to harvest? *turns away, red with embarassment*
mad.gif
? red anyway...

Soon, very soon: D. capensis 'alba', anglica, intermedia, spatualata.

Back