What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera cultivation help

hello. i have recently acquired some drosera. i have acquired some info on my newly acquired plants through books, but i need some more info like dormancy and soil requirements. can someone give me the info on
A)Dormancy and
B)soil requirements and
C)any other special requirements or warnings for these plants?

D. filiformis tracyi Albino
D. XCalafornia sunset
D. Xobovata
D. prolifera
and stick in a non drosera, P. ehlersae

thank you. Zongyi
smile.gif

Hi Zongyi,

From experience, I have found P. ehlersiae to be very sensitive to watering conditions. I accidentally let mine dry out which made it go dormant. It began to die so I watered it some more and it started to sprout new plantlets. Then the baby was born and I neglected all my CPs. Only the Ping was lost, everything else is still growing strong.

The top three do need dormancy. They should grow well in either LF sphagnum or a peat/sand or peat/perlite mix.
D. prolifera does not need dormancy. It thrives reall well in LF shpagnum.
For the ping, I find the Mexicans to do well in equal parts perlite:vermiculite:peat:sand. There are many variations of that compost that work for people.

Joe

Charles>hmmm, i better start watching my watering then. if you still want one, i can share mine with you as i got 2.

Joe>thank you for the information. i am potting them now
biggrin.gif

Zongyi p.s, the new smilelys REALLY creep me out :shudders:

Back