What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera seedlings flooded

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have been cultivating a variety of Drosera seedlings this Spring and I put the ones I felt were hardened off enough / safe outside. Of course I have to keep up withg evaporation and sweat the weekends a bit. We had a quick, intense downpour last night and the containers / trays were flooded, such that some of them were floating around in a sea of rain water. I know some, like intermedia, can take the flooding, but when the water recedes through evaporation and the plants touch soil media again, will they re-root themselves or are they in trouble? What have you done in these situations?

Jim,

As long as they were well rooted and thrifty they should be largely unaffected. If the roots came out of the substrate, they need to be carefully reintroduced to the mix. I use a toothpick and very strong glasses.

My answer: YES
This sound soooo familiar to the situation I had b4, my container overflowed (Yes, OVERFLOwED) becuz I forgot to turn the darn mister off, and it shot so much water in the shallow container that it bust its brim. I think some seeds (spatulata) got washed away but I saved most of them. Also some of my seedlings got uprooted but I just placed them back onto the substrate after the water was drained off. I don't really when this happens (only that it takes long time to save the rest of the ungerminated seeds), but I usually germinate my seeds in water, take them out and just put them onto some LFS. They root from there, and right themselves even if I left them on their side (photo-tropisms...)
biggrin.gif
At least nature take the work of my hands a little, but I still have to provide the light...
These seedlings are SO hardy, well mine anyway *hint hint*

Hope that help at least a tiny bit,
biggrin.gif

Jason

Thank you for your respective input!

Back