What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filiformis help

i have a D. Filiformis Tracyi and it seems to be doing bad.
its stays on my window sill and the leaves are dieing
I got it like 2 weeks ago.
all my other dews make dew, but this one wont.
my window sil get sun from sunrise to noon, and it has like a RH of 50-60. it is planted in 50/50 spag peat and sand, with a little added perlite, and its sitting in water.
can u plz help me out and tell me whats wrong?
Thanks in advanced,
Hellz

Did the plant receive a winter dormancy over the winter months? If not, it is likely that the plant is exhausted.

This is one species I cannot grow indoors to satisfaction even beneath 8 balanced spectrum bulbs. This is one that I have to grow outside. It may also be that your plant just isn't getting the energy it needs on your windowsill.

If you elect to place the plant outdoors, remember that you must go very slowly with hardening it off, or it will become sunburned.

good, i moved it outside now
biggrin.gif

should i give it sometime to "harden" off to the elements or give it a crash course of full sun to reenergize it?
also, this is the 1st time i put my plants outside, whats the best technique for "hardening" them off?

Well, rushing it into full sun wont help reenergize it
confused.gif
It will be burned
mad.gif
and will probably be set back even more. Do it slowly, in half hour increments for a while. I do this with my plants such as sarrs and vfts that need to be outdoors. It works well for me.

Cole

Don't leave the plant out in the sun for any longer than YOU would stay out butt nekkid and fish belly white. You have to start in 15 min. increments, increasing to a half hour as the plant begins to adjust. Red glands and good upright leaves will tell you when the plant is ready for more.

An alternative is to use some screening. I use white plastic garbage bags draped over an open front fish tank. Make sure the tank is open or the heat build up could cook it. I use 2 bags at first, after a week reducing to one, after 2 weeks I remove the bags and put the plants into broken sunlight, increasing this until the plant is happy in full sun. Its a 3 week process I would guess.

Would it be ok if use hourly increments, and increase it weekly, or could that be rushing it alittle?

Back