What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermedia hlp

You might try milled sphagnum as a medium also. I had good success with that. Peat/sand works for a lot of people well, but I have figured out that it does not work for me, as the silica sand I get is pretty fine, and I believe it compacts the soil too much. Tamlin's method of having the water table high may help a lot also.

Cheers,

Joe

Actually, this is one species that grows well and happily in pure fluffed (no nuggets) peat. It likes strongly acidic conditions.

Griffin, have you checked the sand at your local pool supply co.? The sand I use it just great, very coarse, like granulated sugar, and it is very clean. I don't much care for the finer grade of "play sand" or "sandblasting sand". Check it out!

I may try that again. I checked around once with pool places, but with no luck. Yes, the stuff I have is probably equivalent to sand-blast sand, though it's advertised as pre-washed.
And you are right that intermedia likes pure peat, also. If you let some get dry and run it through a piece of screen, you will get the kind of no-chunk stuff you were talking about. I do this sometimes after I nuked it days prior. I feel it is about as sterile as it's going to get.

Joe

Back