What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the W.E.I.R.D.:

Selected Readings in Drosera: A Bibliography

I have been asked often enough for some pertinent “scientific” literature regarding the genus Drosera. The following is a very non-academic compilation taken from notes, jottings and the like. I hope some of it proves useful. I think I have provided enough information for a competent and sympathetic librarian to assist in acquiring these papers and books. In the U.S. interlibrary loan is a great research tool, and much can be acquired with a little effort.

Please feel free to amend or correct any errors, and to add to the list if you have further suggested readings. This is a very fragmentary and partial list, and not inclusive by any stretch of the imagination. It should keep you busy for a little while at least.

I did not write it into the bibliography, but I highly recommend the Allen Lowrie books as well. Rika Erickson’s works on Western Australian CP is also excellent, especially from a historical view.

Diels “Droseraceae” In Engler’s: Pflanzenreich 4: (112) 62 1906
26 (4) 1-136

Schlauer: “A Dichotomous Key to the Genus Drosera L.
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter Vol. 25, Sept., 1996

Rivadavia, Kondo, Kato, and Hasabe 2003 "Phylogeny of the Sundews, Drosera (Droseraceae) Based on Chloroplast rbcL and Nuclear 18S Ribosomal DNA Sequences"
Am.Jor.Bot 90(1) 123-130

Gibson, R. “The Drosera Spatulata Complex and A Comparison of Other Rosetted Sundew Species

***Brazillian Drosera:***

“The Botany of the Guayana Highland”, 1957
Memoirs of the New York Botanical Gardens Vol. 9 #3 331-336

Stefano and Culham, Dos Especies Nuevas del Genero Drosera en Venezuela y Otras Commentarios Taxonomicos, 1995
Novon Vol.5 #3 241-245

Brummer-Dinger, C.H. 1955 “Notes on Guyana Droseraceae”,
Acta.Bot.Neerlandica. 4 (1): 136-138

Correa, M.D. and A.S.Taylor, B 1976 “Droseraceae”,
Ann.Missouri.Bot.Gard. 63: 389-392

Fernandez-Perez, A. 1965 “Plantas Insectivoras Droseracae de Colombia”
Caldasia 11(43) 219-232

Maguire, R. and Wurdack, J.J. “The Botany of the Guiana Highland Part II
Mem.Mew.York.Bot. Gard. 9(3) 331-336

St. Hillare , 1824 “Plantes Remarquable du Bresille et du Paraguay”
253-271

Stefano, R.D. and Culham, A “Flora of the Venezuelan Guayana Vol. IV”,
Miss.Bot.Gard.Press 696-703

Silva and Giulietti 1997, “Levantamento Das Droceraceae do Brasil”,
Bol.Bot.Univ. Sao Paulo 16: 75-105

Steyermark, J.A. and Smith, L.B., 1974 “A New Drosera From Venezuela”,
Rhodora Vol 76 491-493

Rivadavia, F. 2000 “Serra do Araca Expidition”
CP.Soc.Jor, Vol 23

***South African Drosera Taxonomy***

Laundon, S.R. “Flora of Tropical East Africa: Droseracae”,
Britt.Mues.Nat.Hist.

Obermeyer, A.A., 1970 “The flora of Southern Africa”,
Vol.13 581.968F 187-204

Harvey 1859 “Flora Capensis, Vol. 1”

Agnew, A.D., 1974 “Upland Kenya wild Flowers”
Oxford.Univ.Press, London pp. 827

Adamson, R.S. and Salter, T.M. 1950 “Flora of the Cape Peninsula”

Exell, A.W. and Mendoza, F.A. “Legenda das Tabulas”

Exell, A.W. and Laundon, J.R., “New and Noteworthy Species of Drosera From Africa and Madagascar”. Britt.Muse.Nat.Hist.

Salter, R.N. “Notes on Some Species of Drosera Occurring in the Cape Peninsula Including the New Species Drosera glabripes (Harvey) and Drosera curviscapa (Slater)

Debbert, P. 31.12.1987 “Zwei Neue Drosera-arten Aus Der Kap-Provinz, Sud-Afrika”,
Mitt.Bot.Staatssammi Muchen 23 ISSN: 0006-8179 431-436

Debbert, P. 31.12.1991 “Einge Neue Arten Der Gattung Drosera (Droseraceae) und Pinguicila (Lentibularaceae)”, Mitt.Bot.Staatssammi. Muchen ISSN: 0006-8179 pp 373-380.

***Australian Drosera Taxonomy***

Conn, B.J. 1981 “The Drosera peltata –Drosera auriculata Complex”,
Jor.Adelaide.Bot.Gard., 3(1) 91-100

Lowrie, A and Marchant, N. 1992 “Four New Taxa From Western Australia”,
Nuytsia 8(3) 323-332

Marchant, N. and Lowrie, A., “New Names and New Combinations in 34 Taxa OF Western Australian Tuberous and Pygmy Drosera”,
Kew Bulletin Vol. 47(2) 315-317

Susandarini, Collins, Lowrie, and Conran 2002 “Morphological Variation Within the Drosera indica (Droseraceae) Complex In Northern Australia,
Aust.Jor.Bot. 50 207-214

Lowrie,A. and Carlquist, S., (Sept. 1990) “A New Species of Tuberous Drosera From Western Australia”, Phytologia 69(3) 160-162

Lowrie, A. 1994 “Drosera ordensis (Droseraceae) A New Tropical Carnivorous Plant From Northern Australia”, Nuytsia: 9(3) 363-367

Lowrie,A 1996 “Drosera kenneallyi (Droseraceae) A New Tropical Carnivorous Plant From Northern Western Australia”, Nuytsia 10(3) 419-423

Lowrie, A. 1997 “Drosera paradoxa (Droseraceae) A New Species From Northern Australia”, Nuytsia 11(3) 347-351

Lowrie, A. 1999 “A Taxonomic Review of the Yellow Flowered Tuberous Species of Drosera (Droseraceae) From Southwest Western Australia”, Nuytsia 13(1) 55-69

Why don't ye put this in the article section, it'll cramp up the dosera board...oh rightits about dosera...
biggrin.gif

Its not all the names right? No, too little, must be a booklist...
smile_l_32.gif

OOps. OK, not a bibliography. These are a selection of papers I have read and used. Like I said, it isn't inclusive but it offers a good start.

Thank you for compiling and writing all that up for the boards. I know it took a lot of time and effort to do that. That's quite a long list! I wonder if I provided the list to the Botanical Garden here, if they would get copies...they recently opened their new library.

Thank you for doing that.
smile.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
  It's times like this that you really appretciate the "bookmark" button.  Awesome job, must've taken a while eh?

As a matter of fact it did. I went by old notes and the faded scrawled entries in the margins of the copied and recopied papers. I wrote it all out by hand and then typed it out.

Mrs. Fleishman was brething down my neck the whole while. She was my Senior year English teacher. She looked and acted like a torpedo. I doubt she would approve, but this is the best I can come up with off handedly (more or less) and I did promise to write it up.

Add to the above:

Kondo, K. (1971) "A review of Drosera spatulata complex". Journal of Japanese Bot. 46, 321-326.

Kondo, K., Kondo, K. (1983) "Carnivorous plants of the world in colour". Ienohkari Association, Tokyo. 230pp.

Laundon, J.R. (1959) "Droseraceae in Flora of tropical east Africa"

Nakamura, T., Ueda, (1991) "Acta Phytotaxonomic et Geobotanic", 42, 136.

Ruan, Y.-Z. (1981) "On the Chinese species of Drosera L". Acta Phytotaxononica Sinica, 19, 339-344.

Slack, A. (1980) "Carnivorous Plants". Sydney.

van Steenis, C.G.G.J. (1953) "Droseraceae in Flora Malesiana". van Steenis, C.G.G.J. (Ed) Series 1, 377-381

Wow Tamlin, nice work! this list will save us a lot of browsing/searching time, thank you!

Back