What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My green, dewy adelae for the past 6 months is now looking a bit pale and far less dewy. Is it finally dying or just going through a slowing down period?

Hard to tell, but if conditions haven't changed I would say you are experiencing the unpredictable moodieness of the "Queensland Sister's" , or the grow n' go syndrome associated with D. adelae, D. schizandra and D. prolifera.

Yeah. One of mine just up and died within a week. It was okay, though. Since I have so many of them. They're like a plauge. Well.... a pretty one. ~_~

After they multiply and fill a pot, separate them. Some will die occasionally like people have said here, but this way, you will always have some going.

Joe

And I DO have several plantlets if this plant finally deep sixes. Thanx.

They seem to be very moody sundews, as stated. They will grow great for a while with lots of dew. Then all of the sudden less dew and no new leaves for a while. Then they seem to start to grow again. I think mine has "died" around 3 times now. Good thing I never throw it out. It starts growing again.

That might be all that is happening, but it is the first time I've experienced this. Did you do anything to alter its state or did you ride it out? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hey Jim, First thing I noticed is when their dying they go quick- like in a week.
most of mine have died back at least once but always resume growth or sprout plantlets from the base.

Hmmmm, The jury is out as to whether it is still alive. New leaves in the center are brown. The oldest leaves feel dry. The media is wet. I'll give it mor time as was suggested. I feel like Dr. McCoy in Star Trek, breaking bad news to the Captain: "He's dead, Jim." Oh well, I still have more.

Jim,
It will come back. Like I said mine have done this a few times now. Both mine are in the dewless dead looking state right now.
This is how I ended up with 2 plants. I thought the first one was dead, so I bought another. I just left the dead one outside, and after some time I notice that it was growing again.

Don't let the pot dry out! This is something newbies must learn: sundew plants don't always look pretty and dewey and many times die back. You just need to be patient and wait it out. Now would be a good time to plop it out of the pot into your hand and have a look at the root ball. I think you might find a surprise there.

Generally speaking, a plant that has died back should be kept less wet. I keep my wintergrowing South African Drosera just barely moist, spatulata, brevifolia and capillaris just moist. Tropical dormancies and rests are sensitive times, and too much wet without good air circulation can result in rot, at least in my experience.

Thanks, I will pull it out when I get back to work. Surprise! Wonder what that means.

So I pulled it out. It looked dead. I tossed it. I still have several plantlets.

Back