What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No dew

My D.admirrabbilis has not got much dew on it. It has got it on some of the leaves, on a fraction of about 2/10 leaves have got dew. My D.alicea is right next to it, and it produces dew like there is no tommorow. Both sundews have got he same growing conditions, so why is one producing a lot of dew and the other one produces small amounts?

What are your temps like right now? This is a cool growing species by preference. I do regard this as distinct from D. cuneifolia which is much less forgiving, but the two have some obvious affinities as well, and D. cuneifolia is notorious for its dislike of overly wet and hot conditions. I have not cultivated it for long, but I suspect that under hot conditions the plant may well die back to the roots. Perhaps this is happening with your plants. If so, don't discard the pot, and maintain it just barely moist. Growth should resume once cooler weather arrives.

Of course, it might be something totally unrelated, but this thought enters my mind.

Good luck with your plant!

Um........I had it for 2 months and it IS growing. There is no dew. There is some on 1 or 2 leaves, but thats it. Its also got flowers at the moment, will that have something to do with it?

In warm conditions, particularly when the plant is flowering it will not look its best. Often there will not be much dew on the leaves and the rosette can become quite small.

William, despite extreme temps during the last Summer, none of the 3 forms I grow died back to the roots. They didn't look as nice as they could have but they managed fine.

Thanks for the information Sean. Another nail in the coffin for including this plant under D. cuneifolia. Looks different, grows different, flower is different, molecular genetics confirm its different, sheesh. Howe different does a plant have to be before it gets accepted as a species?

But I digress - another consideration would be light. Light powers growth which in turn results in dew. Are your rosettes nice and red, or less so? Lack of dew can be either a response to less than optimal growing conditions, or a seasonal response. As long as your plant continues to make good growth from the center, I wouldn't worry. Some species are more dewey than others.

I had the same problem, but when I rose the humidity, and when my plants grew more leaves, there was dew on them. My old leaves don't produce dew any more. I cover my dews at night to raise the humidity, and when I wake up in the mornin', there was a lot of dew on the new leaves. Also, I mist a lot. BUT, a lot of people tell me that misting is bad, but I had no negative effect with the dew when I mist. Good luck!
smile.gif

Misting is bad, well because.........spray water in your eyes and you will find out what it feels like to a sundew.
Anyway, my plant has a VERY deep red colour in the tentacles. The leaves are bright green. The leaves ARE NOT red, the tentacles are though.

Oh, one more thing. How can you make sundew flowers last longer? My flowers open, close, pollinate and die in one day.

So its not your lighting condition since your plant seems to have good light. Maybe its humidity is the reason that your plant has no dew. Your question about flowering is my question aswell!
smile.gif
smilie4.gif

I had bottles over them which got misted regualy. They are not producing any more dew now then they did then. I took the bottles off, and like I said, no less or more dew is produced now then then. They ARE stood in trays of water. My D.alicea has NOT stopped producing dew either.(I had a plastic bottle over D.alicea asswell, I since took it off)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ June 05 2004,8:24)]Oh, one more thing. How can you make sundew flowers last longer? My flowers open, close, pollinate and die in one day.
You can't. If you want them to last longer you need to take a photograph.

I don't think the problem is humidity, a d. admirabilis I'm growin' is in a plastic box without a lid.

What about removing stamens? Will that work?
PS.
Still no more dew from D.admirrabbillis.

Nothing will prolong the life of a Drosera flower. Its an open and shut case.

Back