What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dew

im not sure what type of sundew i have because im more of a VFT man myself but my sundew is a more of a tree looking kinda thing it long medium sized leaves and is not producing any dew at all... any idea on how to encourage production of the dew?

Could you post a picture of your sundew?
Each group of sundews requires different growing conditions. They will not produce dew if there conditions are not right.

more Humidity
smile_o_32.gif

Dew production doesnt always depend on humidity (although it is an important factor)
the most important i think is sunlight, as i have learned with building my minibog. my sundews were making ample amounts of dew, but not even enough to subdue some fruit flys i fed them. My D. filiformis tracyi was extra trouble. it was starting to wither, and not a drop of dew was to be found. i debated wether it was the sunlight or humidity. atfirst, i started misting my drosera daily. but they still kept doing what they were doing, nothing less, nothing more. i decided to put them outside. now, my D. Spathulata are doing amazing, and some of the leaves are strating to turn a nice reddish bronze (not sunburn, or death of the leaves, they have tons of dew on them) and my tracyi is starting to pick up, and is putting out 2 small new leaves.
hope this has helped,
Hellz

you probably have a d. adelae, I had one that was like a tree and it never made "dew". The root-offshoots had dew tho.

Hard to determine which sundew you have with "a tree kinda thing" for a description, but IF it is, they require pretty high humidity. All of mine are grown in tanks, in LFS and are kept very wet.

Back