What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. prolifera, the "great" sundew nobody grows

I recently purchased a D. prolifera from a west coast nursery. I've had great success with D. adelae in terraria so I thought I'd try a "sister" plant. The plant came in a 3" pot in live sphagnum. This species spreads by sending out above ground stolons that result in plantlets when they touch ground. I cut off the two plantlets that were attached to the parent plant when I received it and transplanted them into their own small terrarium. Both are growing slowly but appear to be healthy. The parent plant seems to be doing well also; several new leaves have emerged. However, it has been a month and no new stolons have appeared. Are any of you sundew "pros" familiar with how often this species sends out new growth?
i.e. continuous or seasonal?

Hey,

Glad to hear from you! when I had mine, it tended to put out 1-3 offshoots a month, but slowed down in the summer when it got real hot. seemed to prefer cooler temperatures. IT really was a great plant. Glad yours is doing good!

ttyl,

-John

Hi,

I have been growing D. prolifera for 1 1/2 year. Here in the tropics ( I am in Colombia) it grows fast and it is continually sending flower scapes which in turn produce plantlets. I have also tried leaf cuttings and you can get lots of new plants that way.

Mine has continuously sent out stolon for the last year.  A great plant.  It has slowed growth since I have put it out side though, so I must agree with spec.  It is very hot here right now, so I will bring it in and see if its growth improves.

Spec, I am saddened to see how badly your grandmother has treated you in the past.

Arrrrrggggghhhhhh! Grrrrrrrr! When I first grew this plant in the late 70's, it was so prolific that I was rooting it out of my tank like a weed. I sent plants to everyone and their brother unti they all refused any more. I threw them out.

Fast Forward to 2004. I have tried my plant in every mix imaginable and it languishes. Does good for awhile, flowers (rarely) and then wanes away again.

Currently the best growth is in live Sphagnum nearly dry at the surface, in an isolated corner of the weakest grow tubes, on the rack. It is a decent looking plant right now, although pale.

I water only when the moss is nearly dry. It hates heat. It hates being moved, looked at, or discussed. It is a PIA, and I am seeking a new clone, just in case anyone really does have a plant that proliferates!

I think this plant looks like something right out of a Dr. Seuss book.

I had mine in a terrarium and it just about croaked. Then I took it out of the tank and set it in a tray on a shelf under lights. There it has done very well. It sends out 8 inch long flower scapes and tiny plantlets form at the very ends which I set on top of sphagnum and let grow. The new plants get larger than the parent! Then, I cut the stalk off.

Long fiber sphagnum works best for me, watering from the top occasionally. The parent plant is in a 4 inch pot, sitting in 1/2 inch rainwater about 6 inches below the lights. The lights are on 17 hours a day.

I hope this helps.

WildBill

my coloney of prolifera is growing quite nicely (and deey) in a large pot of live sphagnum moss. I have found out through trial and error, that, prolifera loves it cool...hot heat will just kill off the plants and you'll have to wait for roots to give you more shoots. try keeping it shaded and cool...i place my plants in the garage at night so it has a cooler temp drop. good luck..its a rewarding species.

My prolifera have been growing and producing runners continuously for the past year and a half.  The plants do better in higher light levels where they exhibit a nice red coloration.  A mix of peat moss and silica sand work very well.  As for water, I use the tray method.  Humidity levels are in the 40% range on average now-a-days.  

happy growing,

Homer

That's the clone I am looking for, hee hee. Long may you runner!

if ANYONE has any prolifera, i'd love some!! pm me and we can work something out!

i'm not asking for free plants, btw

I have several runners right now. I will let you know when they are ready.

Back