What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera scorpiodes

I planted some of these drosera scorpiodes gemnae and they all came up but some started to turn funny colors and they are like yellow and i dont know whats wrong maybe its the hot temps like the 95 deggres that hit . Lmk i dont have too much experience with them cause its the first time trying gemnea.

Was the gemmae fresh? The strike rate on gemmae long stored is often not very good. Keep them as cool and shaded as possible, perhaps under lights and out of full sun, unless they were recently harvested from hard grown plants. I would guess that the chloroplasts in the weakened gemmae have been damaged or destroyed, possibly by sunburn if you had them outside. Apart from this, there isn't much you can do, other than to be sure they are well watered.

hmm. I dont know how fresh it was and i havent had it outside i been keeping it in the coolest area possible in my house and hopefully i can save the two still alive
smile_h_32.gif

I just leave mine outside in the sun and they are growing great. Mine are in a mixture of 50/50 mixture of sand and peat. Here the temps range in the 80's-90's at all time.

Thanks,
Peter

I sowed the gemmae I received several weeks ago and mine are goring fine so far. Full sun, growing in 100% milled sphag (didn't have any sand) on top of a glass table on my back deck, although temps here have been cooler, between 72-87 degrees.

Gemmae is produced by the plants only in winter. I find if the plants are keep too warm in winter, they can fail to produce gemmae. With gemmae I find that they establish best in cool, shady conditions. I will make point of mentioning that a South Australian winter is about same as English spring. So I have been told. It does get to around 3 - 4 C where I live, sometime, at night. Yet it can get to 18-19C in the day.
Once the plants have matured then harden them up to full sun. It a lot easier than trying with gemmae.

Back