What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera minuata(pygmy sundew)

Drosera minuata(pygmy sundew)
How many people have heard of this species? I want to see if it is rare or not.
If you have heard of it and you are growing it, could you please give me some tips?
Regards,
Dino
smile.gif

I think you are referring to Drosera miniata, and yes it is quite rare. This is partly due to the difficulty in bringing this species through summer dormancy, it is particularly sensitive.
If you are new to this section of Drosera I'd advise you practice on a less demanding species before you try this one.

Tamlin, people have said that it is miniata on the other forum, but its not!!!
Its minuata O.K M-I-N-U-A-T-A. The posted a picture of the flower of Drosera miniata(it was orange) But my flowers are white and my flower shape is different.

Starman, a label or tag does not make a species, much as some merchants would have it be so. Only legitimate protolouge publication can do that, and in this case there is none such.

There are many white flowered pygmy species, so without a photo there is no further help I can give. Sorry!

I watched the man write the label I also asked him 2 times what it is.

OK, so he wrote the label. I could write anything I want on a label too, and probably sell it as well. I'm not implying your source is being dishonest by intent, only that mistakes happen.

A stray gemmae finds its way into a pot of D. miniata and grows. Come gemmae season it produces gemmae which are used to grow more plants. Someone who has no clue as to taxonomy of these plants sends your source some, and he accepts it in good faith, and in turn redistributes the material, now mis-spelled, and not even the right species.

It happens all the time, especially with pygmy species which have a difficult taxonomy.

It's always a good idea to plug in the species name here:

http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi

This site is the work of Dr. Jon Schlauer who is the world authority on CP, and serves with the International Congress of Botanical Nomenclature. It is the Word on what is legitimate by way of CP species, and what isn't. If it does not appear on this list, the name is either misspelled, or not legitimate per ICBN reg's.

I look forward to your photo's. Please try to get a good clear shot of the flower, especially the small parts, as well as the unopened buds and rosette.

If the flower has red, thick club shaped styles (which I bet it does, such mistakes are common) it is a form of D. nitidula: either a ssp.or a hybrid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ June 15 2004,12:17)]I watched the man write the label I also asked him 2 times what it is.
uhh, maybe someone else sent the parent plant to him wrongly labeled... OR, he did it on purpose, and said it was the rarest drosera in the world, so that you would buy it, and you'd never find a pic of it on google, nor would anyone else have it, because its mislabeled, and doesnt really exist at all, making you blieve that it really IS the rarest one... where did you get this, btw?

Spec,
he did NOT say anything about rarity.
I doubt he would do it on purpose.
I got it from Littleshopofhorrors.co.uk.
They supply easycarnivores. They also sell plants to garden centres.
They also won 3 gold medals at the chelsea flower show.
I visited the nursery. I got it there. I was looking around and I saw this BEUTIFUL pygmy sundew. It was on its own. I decided to get it, I just couldnt resist.

commercial places like that tend to mis-label
smile.gif
I must have read your message on cpuk wrong...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My friend said that he saw sales of D.minuata. He said the website could only sell 13, he also said they are one of the rarest CPs in the world and that they are protected by goverment law.

Who was it that said that?
confused.gif

tree terror said that.Hes my best friend.

Whats wrong Spec? Its true, tree terror IS my best friend. We have known each other for ages and we live in the same city. We dont disagree very often, and we get on very well. He told me he had heard of drosera minuata.
Hes REALLY nice in real life, he only argued on the VFT forum because he was sticking up for me.:)

I think I won The "argument"
cool.gif

Uh Grim, lets NOT keep arguing. Its not about who wins or looses an argument. Cnt we all just be FRIENDS?
smile.gif

NO, J/K,
laugh.gif
I just love a good arguement
laugh.gif

Dont argue on the forum. Arguments may offend people. You can argue, but do it in a friendly way.

of Course. oh yeah, Whats with the elephant?
confused.gif

The elephant is my avatar. I like elephants. I wanted a better avatar, so I changed it. We friends now Grim?
smile.gif

Yes. It's just the elephant is RED, and aren't elephants GRAY?

Back