What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it okay to repot sundew?

Although I just potted the sundew not more than a month ago, it already has a baby sundew coming up about 2 inches away from the mother plant. Ive read in a lot of books that fall/early winter is the best time to separate and repot, but would it be possible for me to just scoop the little guy out (with a little tug) or would that damage the mother plant? My main worry if I leave it in is that if it grows too much the mother plant and baby plant will crowd each other out and maybe tangle in the process. Any imput would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I always forget to mention what kind of sundew it is, if it matters. My sundew has the "sticky all around" elongated leaves. I know thats not its technical term, but the package wasnt much more informational. -Julia

Hello Julia,

I wouldn't bother repotting the sundew, whatever kind it may be, for awhile.  Many Drosera that I grow get quit crowded in their pots, with no apparent harm to the plants.  It wouldn't be worth it to disturb the growth at this point.

happy growing,

Homer

I agree with Homer. Let it grow for awhile. BTW: I transplant at any time whatsoever. There is no optimal season that I am aware of, the plants never object in my experience.

I'll leave it be for now, thanks for the info. Eventually I want to share my little sprouts with some of my friends whom Ive gotten interested in my plants, but that can wait until fall.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that you have a D. adelae. Does it look something like this plant, while its babies have rounded leaves?
121.jpg

jimscott, that is an interesting pot
smile.gif

seems to be working nicely for you.

Well, the leaves on your plant are a bit wider than mine and I have the little red dots everywhere, but otherwise its very similar. And yes, the young'uns are rounded. I found that strange, will they stretch out like their parents or become little sticky hands?

if you seperate your D. adelae every time you get a new baby, you'll probably ether A: kill it from shocking it so much, or B: shock it enough so that it doesn't make babies for awhile

D. adelae makes ALOT of babies, seriosuly mine crank them out ever few weeks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ June 25 2004,9:22)]if you seperate your D. adelae every time you get a new baby, you'll probably ether A: kill it from shocking it so much, or B: shock it enough so that it doesn't make babies for awhile

D. adelae makes ALOT of babies, seriosuly mine crank them out ever few weeks.
I have been experiencing exactly those phenomena!

Back