What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

woot, me and my seed again
biggrin.gif

this is what i have:
D. Intermedia Cuba
D. Capensis Albino
D. Tokaiensis
D. Binata Coromandel, NZ
D. Anglica Californian X Hawaiian
D. Burmanni Hybrid
D. Burmanni Red or D. Sessiliformia
D. Filiformis All Red
The last three were from Lauderdale
biggrin.gif

i have a few questions...
what are the preferd media of each, i was planning on using LFS for all of them
also, does Filiformis all red need a strat?
thanks in advanced,
Hellz
PS:Iwill post seedling updates once they germinate (or if they germinate -_-)

Personally, and I am no expert, I like mixing peat & sand and topping it off with a layer of LFS. I was considering a cherry, but decided against it.
smile_n_32.gif

cool, i sowed them on 50/50 peat and sand mix, and i think theyll b ok.
i also put in a little perlite
i hope they germinate
wish me luck,
Hellz

Drosera burmanii main need is heat, They grow well on 50/50 peat/sand. You don't need perlite. Drosera filiformis 'All red' also like it warm.

my grow lights keep the seed tray at a constant 85F, is this good enuff?
i was planning on buying a seed heat mat, so ill prob go to a hydroponics store near me, and see their prices. they have really nice seed strter things their, and they even grow orchids and bannan trees in a hydroponics system
wish me luck!!!
Hellz

Hellz, I don't know about the filiformis as I haven't had a chance to plant mine but if you keep the burmannis' covered with a plastic bag, they should germinate within a week. Next year at this time YOU will be giving away seeds.

yup
biggrin.gif

i have one quest, how did u collect the seed!?
did u use a microscope or something!?
theyre amazing small, i prob wouldnt have noticed them, lol
Hellz

whoa, i just found out a good way to germinate seed.
if u use compact flouresents as light for growing the seedlings, to germinate seed, keep the seed tray ontop of the light fixture! it warms the soil, and it keeps my seedtray a constant 83F
biggrin.gif

Hellz

Just have patience, The D. Fliformis All Red takes a LONG time to germinate, but once they do they do it in NUMBERS!  I have 30 of them Which took I think six months to germinate.  That includes 2 months being in the fridge.  I'm not sure if the All  Red form needs to have Stratification though...

WHAT!? filiformis all red needs strat? i thought it didnt...
if it does, idk what im gonnna do...
HELP!!!
Hellz

did you use all the seeds you got?

The red filiformis is not supposed to need stratification. That will delay it....six months(just kidding).
The first timw I sowed VFT, I straified them and they did fine. I just assumed they needed it, since some cp they grow around do.

Joe

If you dont get germination in a month or 2 put the pot in the fridge in a ziplock bag for a couple of weeks, that might help.

ok, they are staying warm, around a constant 83 F
i hope they germinate, filiformis is my favorite Sundew, becuase they are so cool
biggrin.gif

Hellz

Yes, the burmanni seeds are tiny.  That is an understatement.  One of the guys I sent them to PM'd me saying I forgot to put them in the envelope.  Hehehe.
Fortunately he had kept the little baggie.

lol, thats funny, i had to look really closely or else i would have done the same
biggrin.gif

Back