What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy question:

Hi all Expert,

This is one of my Pygmy, the question: Is this the right time to harvest the gemmae? If so, how?

Copy_of_P1010189.jpg

Thanks

I'll be asking that question again in about 5 months, but that is one great picture - the best I've ever seen of gemmae.

Lightly press the outermost rim of the gemmae "wheel" with a moistened cotton swab stick. Just press, don't drag. Gemmae are sort of spring loaded, and will go flying off in all directions unless you hold them down. If they are ready, a gentle pressure should pop them out, and they will stick to the cotton.

Congratulations on your gemmae! This is likely one of the D. paleacea subspecies. One of the ssp. (and I am not yet sure which but probably it is D. paleacea ssp. trichocaulis) always forms gemmae here in the longest days of summer, in defiance of the reversed seasons.

Here in Australia we use hand held suction device. All you need is a small plastic bottle (a urine specimen jar is prefect), about 1m (3ft) of clear plastic hosing, some string. and little piece of panty hose.
Save alot of time collecting gemmae.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 17 2004,2:27)]Lightly press the outermost rim of the gemmae "wheel" with a moistened cotton swab stick.  Just press, don't drag.  Gemmae are sort of spring loaded, and will go flying off in all directions unless you hold them down.  If they are ready, a gentle pressure should pop them out, and they will stick to the cotton.

Congratulations on your gemmae!  This is likely one of the D. paleacea subspecies.  One of the ssp. (and I am not yet sure which but probably it is D. paleacea ssp. trichocaulis) always forms gemmae here in the longest days of summer, in defiance of the reversed seasons.
Drosera paleacea ssp paleacea is all ways the first to produce gemmae in my collection,it starts usually about month to 6 weeks before the hybrids and pygmea. That in March here.

Back